Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have been told by the companies I have toggled the reason there is no exhaust brake on a 6.4 is due to the emmissions stuff and incompatibility.......

You guys are all about how to go fast and build power, anyone out there install one of these and how well does it work?

I need a better way to control a 10K# truck down hill with something other than the brakes and a transmission shifting into 3rd gear at high speeds.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that we all have a EB, kind of. From what I was told, if you use the tow/haul button, it acts as a EB when you touch the brake pedal. Can anyone else confirm this?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yes. Not like the Chevy but in tow/haul the transmission works with our trucks to create somewhat of an exhaust brake.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5R110 and associated programming Lock the Torque converter, and disable the coast solenoid to try to hold the truck at a set speed. If the speed is increased (e.g. the first attempt is not holding speed) it down shifts again to try to hold speed. At this point the motor is screeming if the hill is steep enought and the load heavy enough speed still needs to be regulated with service brakes. Yes the no throttle setting does have the Variable Vane in the closed position but this is not a Exhaust brake nor does it function in any way as a significant Exhaust Brake.

If you have ever driven a Dodge with a factory Exhaust brake you will notice that the truck slow dramaticly just on teh EB alone. Cummins/Dodge uses a variable geometry type of turbo but it is of different design to International/Ford.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I as well would love to find some way of better braking, while my truck is built for speed I typically pull around 10 to 12,000 ibs every day and living in the north carolina mtns is pure hell on my stock transmission

·
Registered
994 Posts
5R110 and associated programming Lock the Torque converter, and disable the coast solenoid to try to hold the truck at a set speed. If the speed is increased (e.g. the first attempt is not holding speed) it down shifts again to try to hold speed. At this point the motor is screeming if the hill is steep enought and the load heavy enough speed still needs to be regulated with service brakes. Yes the no throttle setting does have the Variable Vane in the closed position but this is not a Exhaust brake nor does it function in any way as a significant Exhaust Brake.

If you have ever driven a Dodge with a factory Exhaust brake you will notice that the truck slow dramaticly just on teh EB alone. Cummins/Dodge uses a variable geometry type of turbo but it is of different design to International/Ford.
I stand corrected...:doh::punish2::pointlaugh::buttkick::bottom::banging::shots:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PTP to the rescue again thanks Eric!

Yes an Exhaust brake can be added to the deleted truck. Sent a e-mail to PTP and this is what I got back.

"It would just get spliced in under the passenger seat area of the exhaust. As far as tuning goes just use your tow/haul mode and activate the brake manually."

·
Registered
138 Posts
Subscribing

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
The one and only thing I like about dodge/cummins combo (our service trucks) is the exhaust brake. With it on and the t/h on, never need the brakes. Too bad the trucks are always in the shop.....

I would like an exhaust brake for my 6.4

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I have the Banks Speed Brake on mine. Works awesome.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide App.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the Banks Speed Brake on mine. Works awesome.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide App.

Tell us more please. Easy install? Price? Does it work the same as an OEM EB? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Install was really easy, about 20min because you have hookups to perform both under the hood as well as in the vehicle.

I'm not sure of the cost as my vehicle is a test vehicle for Banks.

Works in conjunction with the Tow Break. It actually adjusts the turbo vanes as well as downshifts to maintain preset speed or slow down if no speed is set.

Take a look at the following thread, I put a number of posts and write-ups about it there.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-4l-discussion/135010-purchase-speed-brake-not.html

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ive read through a couple different threads about a possible EB for the 6.4 but all are usually directed at an Auto... does anyone have info on a Manual version? Or would it even be much help on a straight drive. I know there are not many of us out there. I'm still not sure which programmer would be better for me being a straight drive. Most threads about the Spartan and H&S are Auto directed.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I know Banks was looking at making it work wit ha manual, but they couldn't find any manual owners in the area to test with. So I think it was shelved for the time being or scratched altogether.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Get a mini maxx and buy the mcc program. I have an exhaust brake tune for my truck along with B585. It seems to work well for me. Just giving you more options!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know Banks was looking at making it work wit ha manual, but they couldn't find any manual owners in the area to test with. So I think it was shelved for the time being or scratched altogether.
Where are they located? I wouldn't mind being a guinea pig :)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Azusa, Ca.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide app.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts