Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just picked up a 2000 Excursion 7.3 diesel 4x4 and have a few questions related to towing and the lift it has.

It current has the stock block with the "beak" I think they call it and then a very skinny 4" pro comp block stacked on top of that one. The front has the pro comp 4" lift springs. Very unsafe I know! I plan on replacing it with full leaf packs.....so here's my questions:

If I replace it with full leaf packs will I need to buy one good for 6" of lift (4"block + 2" factory)? Or will I need to buy an 8" leaf pack. The reason I ask is because I have seen some advertised at 6" but then the say "Provides 4" of lift", confuses the hell out of me!!!!!

Also, will I have to worry about choosing the right leaf pack so that when i tow with it it won't sag? I have heard stories about guys installing lift springs to only tow with them later and find out they are not as strong as the originals.

Or is there a safe way to install a block and leaf pack for towing? I have a 7500lb camper i will be towing with it...

·
Registered
141 Posts
What is your budget looking like?

·
Registered
825 Posts
From what I have read most lift kits (super lift, procomp, rancho....) have less towing capacity. Did the X/B spring swap. In the front i put F550 leafs with a 3" mini spring pack. In the rear I put F250 leafs with the bottom 2 leafs added from the old Excursion springs followed by a 4" block

·
Registered
214 Posts
the stock springs aren't very good for towing either. They made them to soft from the factory for ride purposes. When i pull my toy hauler even with load leveling bars it rides low when the trailer is super full towards the front. I've also noticed that it sits better when first hooked up then drops more as the springs get settled.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't use anything other than Ford springs, they have reliability and quality control down pat, they'll last.
Talk with Cary at CT Performance, he's got proven combinations that you'll be happy with.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 2000 7.3 EX has V's up front and modded B's out back with a 6" block and the Hellwig sway bar. Pulls my 6800 lb travel trailer like it's not even back there. It does squat it about an inch or so.

·
Registered
571 Posts
What size rims and tires are you running?
Can you post some pics thanks
My 2000 7.3 EX has V's up front and modded B's out back with a 6" block and the Hellwig sway bar. Pulls my 6800 lb travel trailer like it's not even back there. It does squat it about an inch or so.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't have any pics of it hooked together. I am running Jesse James Lawless 8 20x9 with 295/60/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Looks sweet

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you want to tow and have the best ride quality we have been modding the Excursions suspensions since '04, so far 100% happy customers.

PM or email me if I can help.
Hi, I have some questions about what type of upgrades or changes I need for having my 2002 excursion diesel 7.3 ready to tow a 37ft trailer (9,000 lbs). I just purchased it so I need to get it ready to pull my trailer. Thank you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts