Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a 2003 4x4, 44gal, 6.0 Excursion has a plastic or metal (and therefore subject to delamination) fuel tank. Truck not immediately available to me or I'd look myself.

Thanks,

·
Registered
568 Posts
should be plastic.,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, appreciate itl

Steel tanks in pickups/vans have a lining that tends to come off, various causes blamed, with Ford denying responsibility. There is a TSB and a class action lawsuit about it. Fuel differences, additives, etc have been blamed. Plugs up the pump, filters etc. My Excursion has just developed similar symptoms and shop suggested this as possible cause (not looked at it or confirmed). With a plastic tank is likely the fuel pump and some injectors are the problem (filters changed 3 weeks ago but 6500 mile road trip since).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks, appreciate itl

Steel tanks in pickups/vans have a lining that tends to come off, various causes blamed, with Ford denying responsibility. There is a TSB and a class action lawsuit about it. Fuel differences, additives, etc have been blamed. Plugs up the pump, filters etc. My Excursion has just developed similar symptoms and shop suggested this as possible cause (not looked at it or confirmed). With a plastic tank is likely the fuel pump and some injectors are the problem (filters changed 3 weeks ago but 6500 mile road trip since).
My 04 is plastic I think by the way it sounds but I cant see it. It is wrapped in a heat shield and inside a steel skid plate type container. from what I can see. If that helps any.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My '03 has a plastic tank. :liar:

·
Registered
6 Posts
2000 F450 Chassis truck: rust in fuel filter each time I change it. Been going on for some time. Is it delamination of fuel tank or something less sinister. I'd hate to buy another tank, drop mine and find the tank is OK but something else is causing the rust. No flaking in filter just rust. Any ideas what may be causing this?

·
Registered
385 Posts
All the Excursions have a plastic tank.
For your F450 Titan makes a nice plastic fuel tank to replace the metal one in the F450 / 550's I'd do that.
Thanks,
Deo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts