Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so on my way to work today i lost power. sounded like it was running fine but when i hit the gas ipr went to 82% but oil pressure couldnt get above about 600-700. it died when i went to make a turn. when cranking it 82% but couldnt get above about 360 psi. before all this ipr didnt go above about 42% even when getting on it hard. i just changed the oil like 2 weeks ago and checked it again when i got it home. oil level is fine. i leaning towards a bad ipr or icp or something along those lines. whats everyone else think?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,869 Posts
unplug the ICP sensor and see if it runs ok with good IPR numbers.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that was gonna b my first step once i get home from work

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I unplugged the icp. Excursion fired up and run fine. Pressure about 870 at 29%. Trying to drive lags boost doesn't get to 10psi. Pressure wouldn't go above 1885 psi. Is that normal for having the icp unplugged and I just need a new one or is something else wrong?

·
Registered
531 Posts
So I unplugged the icp. Excursion fired up and run fine. Pressure about 870 at 29%. Trying to drive lags boost doesn't get to 10psi. Pressure wouldn't go above 1885 psi. Is that normal for having the icp unplugged and I just need a new one or is something else wrong?
I want to say you blew the screen or seal on the IPR. Unplugging the ICP can mask that.

·
5,869 Posts
If unplugging the ICP restores the ability to start, then you need a new one. With the ICP unplugged the PCM will "infer" its own value. That is why you see a reading - it is only an estimate by the PCM.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right. Im thinking 6riders is right and I might also have a issue with the ipr

·
5,869 Posts
IMO you need to replace the ICP sensor and re-test. If you just want to buy a new IPR, I am interested in your old one (but only for the cost of shipping).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shouldn't it function basically normal with the icp unplugged? (As far as drivability) or is that not the case?

·
5,869 Posts
It should function relatively normal. IMO replacing the ICP and re-testing (ie driving test) while monitoring the ICP and IPR values will tell you if there is still an issue in the high pressure oil system. Bear in mind that the 1885 psig that is being reported is not a real number - it is estimated.

If the high pressure oil numbers look OK with the new (OEM) ICP sensor, then maybe the lack of power and boost is due to something else.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So Amazon took forever shipping my new icp. Got it put in. Nothing changed at all. Still the same ipr and icp values and no power. What now? Bad or plugged ipr?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
What is the condition of the pigtail and wires? Also, was it an OEM ICP? Have you pressure checked it?

May be free to pull the IPR and check to see if the screen is intact. IMHO, if you have a you need to pressure check before buying another part. IMHO, if you don't have a compressor, it comes to a choice about whether to buy a compressor to do this test, parts in hopes it fixes it, or take it to a decent shop and pay $150 or $250 for them to diagnose it for you. At times, I've spent more on parts and tools getting it wrong that it would have been cheaper to bring it to an expensive shop and have them fix it. At the point your at, either of those three roads will cost a bit of money.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes it's a motorcraft icp. Pigtail and wires all look good. How do I do a pressure test?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
This is a good read and will help you decide your next step:

For the air test, get a fitting for the ICP port or IPR port, run the compressor to 100 PSI or more, and you'll hear the leak. Going through the ICP port on an '03 is a pain and may be worst on an excursion. Also, with the ICP, you'd need to energize the IPR shut.

With an '03, you may be looking at an HPOP also. So, it could be a IPR, an oil leak, a HPOP, or a map hose or port. Or something else.

·
5,869 Posts
Could you please post the real values for ICP pressure, ICP volts, and IPR % duty cycle at cold idle and at hot idle? After replacing the ICP sensor, you said that the ICP and IPR are the same as before. Was that 870 psi and 29% IPR? I assume so, but that isn't all that bad really. Actual numbers help - along with the conditions that they are being measured at (hot, cold, rpm, idle or throttle conditions).

You can watch ICP desired and ICP pressure to see if you are close to maintaining what the PCM wants you to have.

The pressure test from the IPR port is better since it takes a bad IPR valve out of the equation (and you can always test the IPR valve after you remove it).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts