Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 stroker. the first 100,000 miles it was pulled a little (a 14,000 lb backhoe occasionally) then i purchased it so its had a little rougher life for the last 27,000. the other day i noticed a small puddle of oil under it. it was leaking down the inspection plate on the tranny. my first thought was the rear seal but after further inspection i found that it looks more like the valve cover gasket leaking. its been off at the dealership a few times so this didnt suprise me. but it got me thinking. what if i have excessive crankcase pressure. so i drove it around to warm it up. then removed the oil fill cap. there was a good amount of smoke coming from it. it wasn't puff, puff, puff like a scored cylinder but it was pretty constant. it just seemed like quite a bit of blow bye to me and i was wondering if this was normal for a 7.3 with 127,000 miles. thanks for the input

·
Doesn't Even Care
18,044 Posts
I wanna know this too bud, as I think I have excessive blow by too...

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would clean the engine off real good with some simple green so you can get a better idea were the leak could be originating from. Any oil leak in the engine valley will drip down the back of the engine past the bell housing and look like a rear main seal issue. It could be leaking from the a HPOP line, turbo pedestal, CCV cover O rings (doghouse under the air intake on top of left valve cover) or just from the intake boots if you have not done the CCV mod yet. Your description of the gasses escaping the oil fill sounds normal, mine is the same as you described. Doing the CCV mod to atmosphere lets alot of crankcase gasses escape and you can easily smell it when in park or sitting at a stop light.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i can clearly see that the valve cover gasket is leaking on the right side, but its possible that there is more leaks than that. but i got a little worried when i seen all that blow by.

·
Registered
366 Posts
didn't mean to question you, just wanted to bring it up for some other areas for you to consider, I though I had a valve cover gasket leak and it wound up being from the O rings under the CCV doghouse, just kinda dripped down the doghouse onto the valve cover then down the back corner of the engine. I couldn't really tell exactly where it was coming from until after I cleaned the engine off real good - then the source became more obvious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts