Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 F 350 7.3L turbo. It died on me while coming up to a stoplight. It felt and acted like it had run out of fuel. I made several attempts to restart but no luck. The local Ford dealer said give it a little while it may be a cam sensor and to let it cool off. Still no luck. Towed it in and they started checking it out. All fluid levels were full when they started working on it. No oil or water leaks anywhere. They checked all of the sensors and determined it was the high pressure oil pump, not enough pressure to run the injectors they said. They replaced the pump, it started up. Test drove it and it seemed ok. I drove 1 mile and hooked onto my trailer. I notice I had no real power. After going 2 miles I saw smoke coming from under the truck and by the time I made it 5 miles it had blown 1 gallon of oil out the dipstick and crank case vent on the valve cover. By the time I drove back to the dealer another 5 miles it was down 2 gallons of oil. They say that it had a ring bring and that is why it has so much pressure in the pan. I say there is a problem with the high pressure pump system, bad return line, crack some where, etc. the truck uses no oil, has no oil residue in the exhaust pipe, and after the initial start up does not blow blue smoke. The dealer want to do a $10,000 overhaul on a $4000 truck. I just can't see how a fuel problem can now be an excessive blow-by problem unless there is a cracked line or something allowing that 2600 + psi go into the oil pan. I have placed my finger over the dipstick tube and felt no significant pressure at idle. When it idled up it was splashing out of the tube. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:dunno:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Welcome to the ORG. Have they done a compression test on it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

No he was going to do a contribution test on Monday morning. The truck starts and sounds fine, no banging or clanging. Just as soon as the rpms go up so does the oil splashing out. At an idle it does not splash out.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sounds to me like they have some more tests to do before condemning the motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts