Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says. Got a MIL for the EBPS and am going to try cleaning it before buying new parts. The sensor is an easy off but was more wondering about cleaning out the tube. Take it off or clean it with it still in the head?

Thanks guys,

·
Super Moderator
19,509 Posts

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I've seen that (great vid and thread, I've probably watched the vid 10 times). I've also read on here people cleaning it in the truck without removing it (probably just pushing that crap back into the manifold) and was looking for opinions either way.

That whole thread went to crap as to what it EBPS actually does. I know what the manual says that it's supposed to do but I figure there might be more to it. Some people swear by cleaning it, some not, and others just unplugging it. That info gets everyone nowhere.

·
Super Moderator
19,509 Posts
Thanks, but I've seen that (great vid and thread, I've probably watched the vid 10 times). I've also read on here people cleaning it in the truck without removing it (probably just pushing that crap back into the manifold) and was looking for opinions either way.

That whole thread went to crap as to what it EBPS actually does. I know what the manual says that it's supposed to do but I figure there might be more to it. Some people swear by cleaning it, some not, and others just unplugging it. That info gets everyone nowhere.
I think that's the part that I'd have trouble with because I'm wondering if by pushing the stuff back into the manifold would it be sending it up through the turbo? Just my thought on the subject.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Has anybody had problems loosening the nut on on top to get the EBPV tube off. I have tried wrenches and crows foot wrenches along with PB Blaster and getting the motor hot but I cannot get it to break.:dunno: Any suggestions?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I can send over one of the idiots I work with - they break everything they touch.. I should post a pic of what this moron did to the seatbelt in one of my trucks.. its twisted and flipped over itself.. you cant even use it anymore. Its beyond me how someone could even achieve such a thing..

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frank, can get a ratchet style crows foot on it?

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frank, did the removal this weekend and yep the top retaining nut was tough to brake free. I was able to do it by linking two wrenches together and using the extra leverage to get er done. The pipe will come out the top but it's not as easy to describe as the ones on the SD's. Undo both ends and pull up at the same time as rotate the pipe 180* counter-clockwise (end will be pointing at the passenger fender). As you are lifting the pipe out you will need to swing the whole thing to your left over the valve cover and the whole pipe will come out nicely. On reinstall be sure that the upper retaining nut stays on top of the piping and doesn't slip down tho the bottom.

K, did the removal and cleaning job and it's like the truck picked up an extra 20 HP. I don't have a EBPV and I know what Ford says the EBPS is supposed to do but I don't know what but it definitely does something to the fuel mapping. I've gained back some boost at cruising speed and the truck idles and accelerates smooth and crisp now.

Now I'm just saving up for the delete kit.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I just cleaned mine after 232,000 miles on the truck, I guess I got lucky when doing mine. The fittings broke loose without much effort, the fitting at the manifold broke free without me holding a 9/16" wrench on it:woot: I had a small snub handle cresent wrench that I was able to get the sensor out with, and boy when I did get it all apart mine was horrible looking, it was close to being plugged up completely. After running some weedwacker cord in the tube and using a small screwdriver I was able to clean the sensor and the bracket, now I will see if this cleaning job effect's the fuel mileage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts