Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the cash together to go buy an edge cs or cts as it was recommend now that I have an 03' excursion 6.0. Anyway cash in hand and went to a few places and no one had them instock. Was on line looking at edge dealers in my area and talk to a guy on the list. Now he said to stay away from the edge even for monitoring. Said that he has been working on all diesels for a long while and he has had a lot of people come to him cuz their 6.0s ran great for 6 months but then ran like crap or even not start. He Sid say edge cs/cts are good just not for th 6.0s, I've been on here looking n seeing what other say etc, saw that most of you according to the poll use The SCT. Now I'm mainly looking to just monitor my 6.0 for now until I can do the bigger work so I can add power but that guy worried me as this is our daily family driver n don't want it going down is 6 months or so n 5 pluss bill is a lot to drop on a monitor that may mess up excursion. So what do you guys with 6.0 recommend? Needs help fast as I'm sure mama will find smthing else for my money to go twords.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Edge tunes might not be the best but The Insight montioring system from edge is one of the best IMO, hundreds of people on the org run them and love them including myself. You should buy the Insight for $399 from a site sponsor and buy an SCT with custom tunes its going to cost around the same but you will be a lot happier

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
:agree: with Will

I love mine

·
Registered
490 Posts
Monitoring:
Edge Insight CS or CTS

Programmer:
SCT X3 with CUSTOM tunes (innovative, quicktricks or gearhead are the most popular programmers)

There's really no other "good" alternative. The guy you talked to is probably talking about "canned" tunes, i.e. a one size fits all like the crappy Bank's "1, 2, 3" programmers. In that case they are complete crap as they're a one size fits all and most do nothing to the tranny programming. There is no alternative to a good set of custom tunes custom built to the specs, addons and upgrades done specifically to your truck and driving styles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have an edge evo, not the cs, or cts. I've had it for a few years and i've never had a problem. It displays 4 pids at once and comes with an egt probe. Now i think the ct/s displays more pids (Ficm, icp, etc) however if your worried about cost i'd pick up the older evo.

Now for the tuning, i prefer my tow tune of the evo over my sct. The extreme tune does not have as much performance as my custom tuned sct, but in relality it shouldn't.

I've changed a few base calibration's on my truck and the edge actually performed the best on the vxcf5/7. The vxcf9 had too much power on the tow tune/smoky (edge might have updated it as this was about a year ago). Anyway i droped back to a vxcf4 and the extreme is, well not as " extreme " as it once was with other base calibrations. However since vxcf4 is an early calibration i'm sure edge was not to concerned about it as more people will have a later cal then that one to begin with.

I have not had any problems with my evo, however i know the juice has a bad rep for causing trans issues. My evo actually shifts better then my sct, the sct does however keep the convertor locked where the edge mimics the stock in allowing the convertor to kick out easily. The sct also shuts of a mil if you have egr delete, the evo does not, however you can clear the codes with a few button pushes.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
There is nothing wrong with edge monitoring. They might not understand. Check out eBay. I got mine with dash pod and egt probe cheaper then the best deal I could find even just on the edge itself. Most custom tuners will sell the sct for tuning.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank all of you for your replies, I will stick with my first choice and get the edge CT or cts for my monitoring. Right now I'm just wanting something to monitor and will get custom tunes later on. I had found them on eBay for 399 all the way up to 1k. I have the cash for the reg cs or cts but when I looked around town I was shocked at the prices they were selling them for after seeing them for 399. Anyway will go back to eBay and again thank you guys for your input, I wanna prove in my area the 6.0 can be great motors.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
here i found it new for $324. anyone ever used captwholesale.com seems like an awesome deal

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
See what kind of deals our vendors can work for you, before hitting ebay :thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Firstdiesel, you are probably confusing people like your mechanic by asking about an Edge CS or CTS. There are different Edge CS and CTS products. You want to be sure to specify that you are interested in the Edge Insight CS or Insight CTS. That is a monitoring only solution and not a tuner.

There are also the Edge Juice with Attitude CS/CTS and the Edge Evolution CS/CTS which are tuners and most likely what your mechanic was referring to. You do not want one of these.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
The only problem I see with that site is they advertise below MAP price! Edge sets MAP pricing for a reason, but apparently no one pays attention to the rules. I have used and seen many Edge Insight CTS and LOVE them!! I will not use Edge for tuning on the 6.0L, but IMO the Insight CTS is the best data monitoring on the market today!

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
The only problem I see with that site is they advertise below MAP price! Edge sets MAP pricing for a reason, but apparently no one pays attention to the rules. I have used and seen many Edge Insight CTS and LOVE them!! I will not use Edge for tuning on the 6.0L, but IMO the Insight CTS is the best data monitoring on the market today!
Edge has already shut down several other sites like this due to MAP pricing violations. This one will be gone before too long and it wouldn't surprise me if Edge stopped honoring warranties on items purchased from these types of sites... :nod:

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Hey, Cobbs does the same thing, so it's got to be ok :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
dammit, i thought i found a good deal

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PGreeSVT you are probably correct, I forgot to put the "insight" part when I say I'm looking for the edge cs/cts. Thank you for pointing that out I will make sure to specify that from now on because I noticed the edge with attitude dose all the same things but also let's you add some bight power etc etc.
Now reference to "a2elvis" about the MSRP on the edge. The "S" stands for "suggested", you don't have to sell a product at that price. Before I did what I do now I use to sell products that we would get at our price and ofcourse the items would come with MSRPs and we would make the different items up any where from 5-25%, and some of the stuff was still well under the MSRP.
MSRPs are what the manufacture say you can make on a product based off what they they beleve you can get and what a large majority of others get for the product so it's kinda like an average or a "that's what we beleve you should get for our product". I've seen alot of companies sell products well over the MSRP, so those out there that find some good deals, yes be on guard and research the company but don't let it scare you if it's lower than MSRP, maybe they happen to get a better deal from the manufacture than other companies.
I got on the website after Travis suggested it and either they raised it slightly or I looked at the wrong thing cuz it was in the low 400 which is still a great deal compared to what I've been seeing. Again thank all of you for help and input on this, I will be more careful of detailed when explaining what kind of edge cs/cts I'm looking for.
I would also like to point out what I'm sure all of you know, that this site is great. I have got more help on here than from around my area and you guys have alot of knowledge out there. Thank u again

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Just so you know, Edge locks in their prices, so that resellers cannot sell them below that amount. MSRP doesn't mean squat when you sign a reseller agreement. The manufacturer can price lock their goods for whatever amount they want.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Gotcha, but I did not use MSRP. I used MAP. MAP is Minimum Advertised Price. Manufactures will set MAP to protect itself from having their product from being *****d out. I dont mind being called out on something but MSRP and MAP are two completely different things.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Oops sorry Admin didnt mean to use bad language. Wont happen again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
E2elvis... Your right you used MAP not MSRP my bad, wasn't trying to call anyone out was just an over look on my part. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm still going to try and take advantage of that price $324.31 with 10.26 shipping on the edge insight cts before it does get changed and that's after check out the company and make sure they are legit and I don't get burned. Looks to be a large whole sale type company.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts