Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my recent mishap i went to a diesel shop and asked them what an estimate for pulling the head to get the extension that i dropped out. The guy gave me a price of $4000 to $5000 including parts and labor to remove both heads, he said at that point it would be best to do both because your in there already. I dont know enough about these engines to tell if thats a decent price or if hes trying to screw me. So if anyone could shed some insight for this noob that would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows of any good shops near central illinois that be nice. Thanks again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i thiught it seemed awfully high. Im gonns call schied diesel and get an estimate from them.

·
DERAIL MOD!!!
23,192 Posts
For that kinda quote I'd just pull the engine myself

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea i dont have the tools, space, or know-how required for that. I called schied and they quoted me $1200 for removal of heads but thats just labor. I thought that seemed a lot better.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What all has to be replaced when you pull a head. I know the head studs and head gasket but what else is there that you have replace or that commonly breaks during removal? Im just trying to get a rough idea as to what all it involves because i honestly dont know. Thank you for any help, im really bummed out about all this and appreciate any help, this forum has always been really good help before.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scheid quoted me cheaper than the midwest diesel in champaign illinois. Ill give the link you gave me a call tommorow.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Honestly head gaskets are no more than a 2 day job so..
16 hours times what ever their shop rate is PLUS parts

head gaskets can't be more than 50 per side

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That's more than I paid for my whole truck. He'll I'd post up here local forums or see if there is a local area face space page. I'm sure someone could/would help you. We have tech days every now and again with my local mustang club. Ever one meets at a members house or shop and everyone turns wrenches learns and teaches. Oh and drinks some beer.

For 5 grand I better be getting some head work gaskets studs injectors and a solid reach around

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea im gonna call some other places today. Im not taking it to the midwest here in champaign.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts