Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 problems really. My electric 4x4 isn't working, i turn the little knob and it does nothing. Second problem is whenever i downshift manually, i blow the fuse that controls the instrument cluster. I imagine these 2 are somehow related due to the fact that they are both dealing with shifting stuff.

Anyone have any ideas?:dunno:

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you take the covers off the stering colum you will see two small wires going to the over drive button. if you follow the wire you will find a spott were the wire is strped or pinched. So every time you shift it is grounding out that curcit and blowing the fuse.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you take the covers off the stering colum you will see two small wires going to the over drive button. if you follow the wire you will find a spott were the wire is strped or pinched. So every time you shift it is grounding out that curcit and blowing the fuse.
It still goes to R,N, and Overdrive fine, just when i shift down to 2nd, could that still be it? Would that be messin with my shift on the fly too?:confused:

·
Registered
348 Posts
It still goes to R,N, and Overdrive fine, just when i shift down to 2nd, could that still be it? Would that be messin with my shift on the fly too?:confused:
I had the same problem of blowing the same fuse but i didnt find it untill after i shorted out the tow haul mode. im not to sure about the 4 wheel drive.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same problem of blowing the same fuse but i didnt find it untill after i shorted out the tow haul mode. im not to sure about the 4 wheel drive.
Mine doesn't have tow/haul, its just got the OD off button, which doesn't blow the fuse:confused:.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mine doesn't have tow/haul, its just got the OD off button, which doesn't blow the fuse:confused:.
sorry im used to my current truck. It is the wires that go to the button at the shift lever. They get pinched and sraped over time.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, 2 replys on worn wires, i'll definitely check that out tomorrow.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well, 2 replys on worn wires, i'll definitely check that out tomorrow.
When you pull the cover off the steering colum the wires will be on the top of the collum. when your looking at the wires run the shifter trough all the gears slowly and you should find the spot.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you pull the cover off the steering colum the wires will be on the top of the collum. when your looking at the wires run the shifter trough all the gears slowly and you should find the spot.
Thanks for the info.:thumb: I'll update the thread when i find out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts