Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 early build 6.0 has an surging idle that will jump like 50 rpm and settle back down but it only happens after the Truck is at operating temp.. I just had icp, 3 injectors and 58v FICM replaced.. Think it's a dirty EGr? What else could it be? Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
mine did this exact thing. i cleaned my maf sensor and unhooked the battery for 15 mins and after i hooked it up the truck idled fine. after i cleaned sensor it didnt help until i unhooked battery.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No smoke.. Cold starts it takes no more then 2 seconds to fire, warm starts are quicker yet.. Maf cleaning is another idea.. I bought the EGr gasket and o ring kit.. Going tackle that and maf cleaning.. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
When I change my air filter I clean my mass air flow sensor with CRC MAF SENSOR cleaner.

Dissconnecting the batteries will reset the system, along with clearing codes.
Again, do you have any codes?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No check engine light.. I will use my insight and run a diagnostic test to make sure.. I am going to clean up my EGr, maf and also got the fuel regulator spring to put in.. Looks my labor day weekend will be me getting dirty under my truck..

·
Registered
809 Posts
How long should you leave the battery's unhooked to reset the system? I have never unhooked them would this be a good idea. Do not mean to high jack but my idle fluctuates a little also.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Is it an 03 engine or an 04 engine? Did you replace your icp sensor pigtail? You may want to check your ipr valve screen.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced that stupid icp sensor.. Mine is an early 04 build date so the icp is at the back of the drivers side head.. I hope it's not the pig tail cause it will be a pita! Any recall from ford on that pigtail?

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
No recall but that is an 03 motor if your icp sensor is at the back under the turbo. Was the icp sensor leaking? The 3-wire pigtail should have been replaced when you replaced the icp. It is usually part of the repair.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The icp was replaced by yours truely via ford recommendations since it's not cover under engine powertrain warranty(don't get me started on that) it was leaking... they never said anything about the tail though.... I notice bare wires on the pigtail so I just electrical taped them and made sure none was touching each other.. Could that pig tail be my erratic idle issue? It only happens when the truck is at opt temp so that's why I thought it could be dirty EGr so I bought new gasket and orings.. Also got a can of Crc for the Maf, going to tear into that when my gasket gets here.. Hope that fixes it.. Thanks for the help fellas

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgot to mention I replace the EBP sensor also am cleaned the tube..

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Yes, the pigtail could definitely be causing a compromised signal for the ICP. The recommendation is to change the ICP and pigtail at the same time if the ICP is leaking oil into the pigtail for that reason. Here are the Ford and IH part numbers: ICP pigtail 5C3Z-12224-A 1850712C91

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate all your help granny.. So my question is does the FICM get a signal from the ECU until it reaches operating temp then the icp takes over? I only get the surging after the truck is warm.. This would make sense if that was the case.. Also I heard that there was an upgraded icp sensor that has 3 wires.. Is that for the one that moved to the passenger side valve cover? Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
sorry to jump in but i have the same exact problem in my 03. can someone please explain what the icp sensor is and where it is located? is this a big job to change ? i tried finding a write up on it but i couldn't find any detailed info thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the 03 year the icp sensor is located at the back of the drivers side head.. Sitting to the right of the turbo if your facing the truck.. It's back there but hard to see.. Icp sensor monitors high pressure oil sending the signal to the FICM.. Someone correct me if I am wrong

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
The icp sensor has always had 3 wires and the ipr has 2 wires. Make sure your are looking at the correct one. I am not sure about the FICM. I would pull the ipr and check the screen for trash on it. Are you getting any codes?

Do you have a 3 wire sensor on the passenger side valve cover?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no codes, I scanned using my insight and no current codes.. its funny cause I only get it after the truck is at opt temp and its in neutral. If i put it in drive, it idles fine.. I cleaned the maf with no such luck.. I am tempted to have ford replace the harness and check the ipr screen since I need to take it in anyways for a trans service.. I figured it cant be more then an hour of labor plus the trans service... any advice?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts