Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that the EPA is cracking down on a lot of shops for doing EGR/DPF deletes and the tunes to support them.
My question is, with the EPA doing this to shops can a regular guy do it to his or her personal truck without repercussions???
I have a 2017 F350 with the 6.7 and I will wait until the factory warranty is up but I will be deleting it, I don't believe in pumping all that garbage back into the engine.
I am just wondering if I will need to save all the parts for future, just in case I need to put them back on.
Just for reference, I live in Northern Minnesota.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I just want to piggyback on this and ask if anyone has ever had their non-commercial vehicle checked for emissions equipment at other that an emissions station? I've heard rumors of "friends of friends of friends" who've done this, but never met anyone that has had it done to them.

I'm sure it still violates federal law if you do the deletes yourself. I'm in an emissions area , so I would be checked at the emissions station for deletes. We're a non-inspection state, but I have no idea if each state and county checks for emissions deletes.

·
Super Moderator
9,451 Posts
I'm a vote for keeping all the parts you pull as to @ChrisSki post is the point. You never know what is going to happen when. It's easier to get a "fix it ticket" then having to cobble together parts so you don't pay the "big fines".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I was pretty sure I was going to keep all the old parts, at least a little while, just in case the EPA wants to go full on stupid, like they did with the emissions check for cars and trucks back in the 90's just to get your License tabs. If the EPA decided to do that there would be A LOT of very pi**ed off diesel owners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anyone read all the rules, in perfect government sense it makes no sense, just wondering if anyone out there has seen any fines or penalties, and if so what?

·
Registered
223 Posts
To be honest at this point I don't think you have anything to worry about. The only people I have ever heard of that get any grief are guys that are commercially using their trucks or people who were just A-holes when they got pulled over so the leeway of stuff like that kind of goes out the window when you give the cop reason to check.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ya I was pretty sure I was going to keep all the old parts, at least a little while, just in case the EPA wants to go full on stupid, like they did with the emissions check for cars and trucks back in the 90's just to get your License tabs. If the EPA decided to do that there would be A LOT of very pi**ed off diesel owners.
If you live in an emissions county....you do have to do that. I had a 2005 Crummins and it was "cat-less" so they made me throw a cat on there before I could register it and get plates.

·
1% Club
52 Posts
If the EPA decided to do that there would be A LOT of very pi**ed off diesel owners.
I do not work for the EPA, but I do work for the Federal Government. The Federal or State governments do not care what we think. Look at what California is doing and has mandated for the sell and registration of electric vehicles (California mandate: Commercial trucks go electric starting in 2024, all-EV by 2045). They will impact us all when you cannot get diesel in the state. You will either not travel through or move out. A greeny will happily move in your house.

Electric is the future, why would you not want a truck with 1000 ft pounds of torque (or more) at EACH corner? I love diesel but I see a change on the horizon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not work for the EPA, but I do work for the Federal Government. The Federal or State governments do not care what we think. Look at what California is doing and has mandated for the sell and registration of electric vehicles (California mandate: Commercial trucks go electric starting in 2024, all-EV by 2045). They will impact us all when you cannot get diesel in the state. You will either not travel through or move out. A greeny will happily move in your house.

Electric is the future, why would you not want a truck with 1000 ft pounds of torque (or more) at EACH corner? I love diesel but I see a change on the horizon.

If the EPA would get its head out of its own A$$, it would figure out that electric vehicles are WAY harder on the environment than DIESEL, all the harmful chemicals in the batteries is way harder to recycle than oil. the newer diesels, even deleted are way cleaner than the diesels of old.
AND NO comment about California......

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Lithium batteries for EV's.....ever seen the mining process and what that does to the environment? 500,000 gallons of water per ton of Li. Pools of brine left to evaporate and seep into the earth. The damage is done mostly to 3rd and 4th world people in foreign countries. I'll pass.

·
Registered
223 Posts
@No one I agree with you on the performance side of things. The amount of immediate power is amazing in the EVs but what I can't get past at this point is living out in the sticks like I do, and In the middle of the country, I am needing range with my vehicles. Many times my truck is loaded to 30,000 GCVW and an EV will have plenty of power to move all that. It just won't move it very far and I don't think I have enough extension cords to run it out to the highway from the nearest shop I can steal electricity off of to charge it.

I agree it is going to be the future and I don't necessarily hate that idea, but it is far from where it needs to be to be a practical solution yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts