Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have a question. I just got a new oil cooler about 10k miles ago, and I still haven't gotten a coolant filter yet (I know, I know.), but today I noticed something.'

Before she got warmed up, I saw a difference between ECT and EOT of like 18*. It was like 137* and 155*, but once it got past 180*, I never saw a difference of more than 5*, and sometimes they were dead even. But I ran her hard on the interstate yesterday, playing with my Looney Wild Tune, and I saw a difference of like 15* straight up. It was about 100*, and it was EOT and ECT of like 207* and 192*. But I only saw it for like maybe ten seconds.

So is my oil cooler on it's way out? If so, let me know, as I'm still under warranty and could get it fixed in a heartbeat.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The difference doesn't count until you're at operating temperature. It is possible to see a difference of 15 or more when you are really pushing the truck and the coolant and oil temps rise. When the coolant lowers, the oil will take longer to go down and you will have a difference. Honestly, your differences seem just fine, but it's always a good idea to change your coolant if you haven't done so recently.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
You are fine. Its at operating temp and just cruising where the 15* difference comes into play

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
I would just keep an eye on it at this point. If it is routinely more than 15 degrees that's when you need to worry.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
The difference doesn't count until you're at operating temperature. It is possible to see a difference of 15 or more when you are really pushing the truck and the coolant and oil temps rise. When the coolant lowers, the oil will take longer to go down and you will have a difference. Honestly, your differences seem just fine, but it's always a good idea to change your coolant if you haven't done so recently.
You are fine. Its at operating temp and just cruising where the 15* difference comes into play
there ya go.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, thanks guys!! I plan on ordering a coolant filter pretty soon, as the coolant was just flushed when the HG's were done 10k miles ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts