Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 7.3 with a Mishimoto aluminum radiator, Dieselsite water pump, billet thermostat housing and190 thermostat, XDP coolant filter, Adrenaline HPOP, Alliant IPR valve and oil cooler. All new.
Yesterday I was driving with no load. 100 degree ambient temperature outside. My oil temp climbed to 247.5 while my coolant sat at 185.

Something is definitely wrong but I dont know what. Please somebody give me an idea.
Thank you.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Your oil temp sensor may be reading incorrectly. If it’s correct, the oil cooler on the side of the block is the only place in which the coolant cools the oil. They don’t commonly plug up on 7.3s, especially since you are running a coolant filter and new oil cooler. But it’s a possibility

100 degrees is a hot day, I’ve seen around 230 on a 90 degree day for reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I have a 2002 7.3 with a Mishimoto aluminum radiator, Dieselsite water pump, billet thermostat housing and190 thermostat, XDP coolant filter, Adrenaline HPOP, Alliant IPR valve and oil cooler. All new.
Yesterday I was driving with no load. 100 degree ambient temperature outside. My oil temp climbed to 247.5 while my coolant sat at 185.

Something is definitely wrong but I dont know what. Please somebody give me an idea.
Thank you.
sounds like a bad sensor. What does the oil temp sensor read when cold compared to the water temp sensor ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try swapping out the oil sensor but I dont have any other problems associated with a faulty read.
Both sensors read low and gradually rise but the coolant will stay around 180-185 while the oil continues to climb.
Driving through the city the oil temp will hover around 210, freeway will be around 220s but freeway on any sort of incline will push it into the high 30s and 40s. All the while the coolant stays the same.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Do you have an EGT gauge? What are the EGTs when EOT begins its rise? Do you have a tune? Is there any visible over-fueling (black smoke) when EOT begins to go up?

7.3 have oil squirters that cool the underside of the pistons. Under high load (or over-fueling conditions) piston temp will rise rapidly and the heat is rejected to the oil directed at the piston underside.

I am not familiar with the oil circuit. Is there a bypass valve associated with the cooler / filter circuit that could be stuck so that oil flow is not routed to, or by-passes the cooler? What changes were made, or what happened, prior to this behavior occurring? Or has it always been this way?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts