Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
btw i had bad dorman gaskets aswell and went with an amazon seller in a pinch, and have had zero issues for now 6,000 miles so if your lookin to save, nothin wrong with savin some pennies but just know its not motorcraft quality but hey even those go bad too with age, heat, and diesel oil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
OK, will check the wiring going to the GPR for breaks or poor connection, then will test continuity of the glow plugs.

I really think the plugs or at least most of them are good since when this engine behaves, it fires up within 2 seconds of cranking. It is bad wiring at the GPR or the Relay itself. Using the block heater sure works in the meantime, fires right up but the air temperature is warm, usually low 60's in the morning when I start my work hauling dirt with the rig.

Powerful engine but when I am pulling a hard load and I let up on the throttle and disengage clutch, when the engine goes back to Idle, it sounds like the rpms go a little too low, almost like it will die, but never has, sort of a bounce of Rpm's at idle after working engine hard.

Could be Idle is set too low or might have dirty injectors.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
OK, will check the wiring going to the GPR for breaks or poor connection, then will test continuity of the glow plugs.

I really think the plugs or at least most of them are good since when this engine behaves, it fires up within 2 seconds of cranking. It is bad wiring at the GPR or the Relay itself. Using the block heater sure works in the meantime, fires right up but the air temperature is warm, usually low 60's in the morning when I start my work hauling dirt with the rig.

Powerful engine but when I am pulling a hard load and I let up on the throttle and disengage clutch, when the engine goes back to Idle, it sounds like the rpms go a little too low, almost like it will die, but never has, sort of a bounce of Rpm's at idle after working engine hard.

Could be Idle is set too low or might have dirty injectors.
sounds like the GPR is on it's way out. Probaby has a dead spot and that's when the engine struggles to start. Next time it cranks forever, jump the large contacts on the relay for at least 30 seconds prior to starting (a jumper cable clamp works well for this).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
sounds like the GPR is on it's way out. Probaby has a dead spot and that's when the engine struggles to start. Next time it cranks forever, jump the large contacts on the relay for at least 30 seconds prior to starting (a jumper cable clamp works well for this).
I will turn on ignition which starts the glow plugs and then check with my volt meter to see if the terminal side of the GPR shows volts going towards the plugs. If it is hot, after 30 seconds will start cranking and if it will not fire up it is bad plugs

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I will turn on ignition which starts the glow plugs and then check with my volt meter to see if the terminal side of the GPR shows volts going towards the plugs. If it is hot, after 30 seconds will start cranking and if it will not fire up it is bad plugs
the GPR could show voltage but minimal amps. Glow plugs are either good or bad. Sounds like you get intermitant starting issues which makes me belive it is the relay.

If you have no service record of the glow plug system, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a the larger stancor relay and replace all 8 glow plugs to get a baseline.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
the GPR could show voltage but minimal amps. Glow plugs are either good or bad. Sounds like you get intermitant starting issues which makes me belive it is the relay.

If you have no service record of the glow plug system, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a the larger stancor relay and replace all 8 glow plugs to get a baseline.

Crap..checked ohms today on both sides and got a reading of .7 from both outside plugs on both sides. The video showed earlier was for a 2000 and it showed to check the two outer pins on each plug ( 4 total for each side)but my 96 model has only a total of 5 pins, the middle three must be for the injectors or something else since they did not show anything when I put the meter needles into them.

All 4 outside pins (total for the both sides) showed .7 whhich acording to the video means the glow plugs are good. So guess each pin is for 2 plugs. since the 2000 video showes a total of 8 pins for both sides go to the plugs, one pin per plug.

I checked the two small wires at the GPR and they are in good shape, no breaks at all. So guess the only thing it can be is the relay itself is bad.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
On an OBS, the outermost pins on each of the four VC connections are for the glowplugs. The middle three pins are for the injectors. When the glowplugs are active (up to 1.5minutes after key is turned to WTS), put your meter leads across the GPR's large posts. This will read the voltage drop across the relay directly. A voltage drop reading of 0.3V or more and the relay is bad. Cheers!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
On an OBS, the outermost pins on each of the four VC connections are for the glowplugs. The middle three pins are for the injectors. When the glowplugs are active (up to 1.5minutes after key is turned to WTS), put your meter leads across the GPR's large posts. This will read the voltage drop across the relay directly. A voltage drop reading of 0.3V or more and the relay is bad. Cheers!
Patrick: I will see what voltage drop there is across the Relay. When I tested it earlier just to see if there was voltage on the Glow plug side of the relay while the glow plugs were still active i do remember the voltage was less than on the battery side but don't remember how much. I will check that out again. Just curious, I sold a house to a airlinepilot many years ago who always ended his letters with Cheers!. He was from Australia. Do you have connections from "Down Under"? Thanks for the tips

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Measure on the battery side of the relay, before you turn the key on
then turn the key on and should see about 1 volt drop -- that means there is load on the system
Measure across the large terminals like has been mentioned, there should be minimal voltage on the meter as @Patrick Feeley mentioned

Sounds like you tested only one of the four glow plug harnesses
the outermost connections only work one glow plug in the 5 wire connector -- the next inward are injectors and the center is 115 volts
in the 7 wire connector, the glow plugs are the outer 2 -- still only one wire per glow plug

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
No down-under component to the "Cheers!", just always liked it. Cheers! (again!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Measure on the battery side of the relay, before you turn the key on
then turn the key on and should see about 1 volt drop -- that means there is load on the system
Measure across the large terminals like has been mentioned, there should be minimal voltage on the meter as @Patrick Feeley mentioned

Sounds like you tested only one of the four glow plug harnesses
the outermost connections only work one glow plug in the 5 wire connector -- the next inward are injectors and the center is 115 volts
in the 7 wire connector, the glow plugs are the outer 2 -- still only one wire per glow plug
Yes, I got thrown off on the video which showed two outer connections total of 4, per side. but that was for a 2000 model, mine beig a '96 . I discovered the two forward harnesses and will check them later.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts