Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, when I start my truck in the morning the noise that it makes while it is heating the engine sounds different. It used to make a consistant buzzing sound, now it is a bit choppy sounding, (not smooth). It is also idling a bit rough for a few seconds till it gets warm. What is wrong? Is there a warmer on each cylinder, and a few aren't working?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks fellas,

Al

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
Sorry no one has gotten to you yet. I'm not too familiar with the glow plug systems on the 6.0's, but maybe its a bad glow plug relay that is cutting in and out. Which would not properly warm the chambers therefore you have a choppy idle. Its just an idea. Hopefully a tech will chime in to help you out some more.

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
Your buzzing/chopping sound:dunno: is this your fuel pump pumping up:dunno:
maybe. Under your seat is where it's located. Look there and see if that is your buzzing/chopping sound. If so ....... when was this primary filter last changed? If it's been like 15K .....It's time to change fuel filters.
Hope this helps:thumb:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Havent had my truck long enough to hear this. I had only one problem with an air bound filter after I ran out of fuel. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
The buzzing sound is the injectors under the old flash. Take it to the dealership and have them update your computer (PCM) to the latest flash, which includes an inductive heating strategy for your injectors. This will help immensely with your cold starts. PS. The glow plugs are ONLY used to generate heat during initial compression to get the engine started. The vanes on the turbo are commanded closed to help retain heat to help with warming up the engine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The buzzing sound is the injectors under the old flash. Take it to the dealership and have them update your computer (PCM) to the latest flash, which includes an inductive heating strategy for your injectors. This will help immensely with your cold starts. PS. The glow plugs are ONLY used to generate heat during initial compression to get the engine started. The vanes on the turbo are commanded closed to help retain heat to help with warming up the engine.
Do you know what they charge for the PCM upgrades?

·
Registered
659 Posts
WARRANTY WORK

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts