Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kinda long but I have an 06 F350 with 20,000 miles. The problem is that last winter when I started cold down in the 30s The check engine temp warning would come on. I knew it wasn't hot because it was stone cold. At the same time the regular temp guage was dead. After a while all would start working . but would do it off and on as I drove. Then this spring it quit doing it so I thought it was a fluke and had cured its self. About a week ago it started up again ,same thing but I didn't worry about it. Yesterday it was 98 degrees and we were using the AC and all of a sudden it went to hot air. I looked at my dash and it read the same warning and the guage was dead again. So I pulled off and turned the engine off and back on . The guage went to HOT and then went dead again. I drove almost to my house and it was normal again so I tried the AC and lo and behold it was cold again.
sorry about writing a book but is this something in the computer or something else?
Jim

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
temp sending unit maybe? if you were loosing heat then i would say head gaskets, but i'm not sure why the ac would shut off. Do you have any coolant loss or smell?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, The engine wasn't losing heat it was the Ac that was cold again. The temp Guage is going from power to dead when the check engine temp comes on. No I'm not losing any coolant either. It just looks like it's electical to me, that's why I thought it might be something to do with the computer or something like that.

·
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG
4,553 Posts
Yeah, i know you didn't say you were loosing heat, but that is a common thing for head gaskets. I was just stating that it was a problem. Yours does sound electrical though. I would get a scan tool on it and see it the temp sending unit is throwing any codes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts