Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 F250 King Ranch. I had all the pertinent up-grades done and it has run fine for 2 years. Now all of a sudden it just dies. I got on the freeway, set the cruse to 60mph, got about 10 miles and it died, I was able to pull off in a safe area, but it wouldn't restart. I had it towed home. I decided to try to start it and it fired right up. I checked for codes, but none were registered.
I called the local Powerstroke repair shop and they though it might be the high pressure oil pump. I was able to drive it to the shop. The pressures were normal on my scan gauge so we decided that wasn't the problem.
The shop thought it might be the spring at the engine fuel filter, and installed the blue spring. They let it run for several hours and it died again.
After several tries (after it has been running and dies), sometimes it will not start after it dies, other times it starts right back up. We think it has something to do with the fuel system. It only does it when it is hot.
It seems to be an intermittent problem. Has anyone experienced this or heard of an issue like this?
Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if the shop checked it as they would have had to have sat in the truck until it failed. You would think it would have thrown some sort of code if the pump had failed. I don't know.
I feel the guys know what they are doing, but they have been on it for 2 weeks. Intermittent problems, that don't throw a code, are hard to diagnose. I am hoping someone has had this same issue. We could just start replacing parts, i.e. high pressure pump, wiring harness, ficm, relays, etc. but that would cost a small fortune.

·
Super Moderator
12,955 Posts
I don't know if the shop checked it as they would have had to have sat in the truck until it failed. You would think it would have thrown some sort of code if the pump had failed. I don't know.
I feel the guys know what they are doing, but they have been on it for 2 weeks. Intermittent problems, that don't throw a code, are hard to diagnose. I am hoping someone has had this same issue. We could just start replacing parts, i.e. high pressure pump, wiring harness, ficm, relays, etc. but that would cost a small fortune.
They absolutely are. However, being in the truck and monitoring it as it's failing is all part of a proper diagnosis. They/you have to see what's happening during the failure to make a good decision, rather than just throw parts at it like you said. At this point I doubt the pump is failing, but there are many problem areas that can develop leaks inside the system that could cause your situation, especially if it's related to the truck being hot. Many people have had these kinds of problems before, but trying to help diagnose over the internet without some good test numbers is no better than just throwing parts.

At that point the oil is acting thinner and can more easily work it's way through those leaks, dropping your pressure.

Once you're able to determine if it's oil or not, you'd be able to move forward. If it is an oil problem, the next step would be to do an air test and listen for the leak, which would pinpoint where the repair needs to be made.

If it's maybe fuel, they can hook up a temporary gauge at the test port on the engine filter and again, watch the gauge as it's failing. That will help verify.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I agree with you. I don't know if starring at a gauge for hours would work. You would think they could leave a computer plugged in and it would record the failure.
I was hoping someone would say, "Oh your Johnson tube is plugged" or something simple. I haven't heard of this before and I have talked to a bunch of owners...
This is going to be a tough one...

·
Super Moderator
12,955 Posts
I agree, I don't think staring at a gauge would work but they should have a diagnostic scanner that can data log and record what's happening. I know I can do it with my CTS, but I don't think you can do it with the SG. It's always tougher without the right tools.....

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I had a similar issue for a time. Random stall at any speed. For me, it was only while warming up. It never seemed to occur at full temp.

In the beginning... sometimes it would restart immediately. Other times, it took an overnight.

From my monitor, I knew that it was HPOP related. I then found that I could wiggle the injector harness near the IPR valve to get a restart.

That lead me to peel back the heat shield on the injector harness segment that connects to the IPR valve. Sure enough, the insulation under the heat shield had turned to goo - way back near where it connects to the main harness branch.

I replaced the wire segment and reinforced the chafing points. Never an issue since.

This may be your problem. May not. The main thing though is that Nick is right. Monitor and diagnose at the time of the problem or no start. Without watching my ICP and IPR% and seeing odd behavior, it would've been lotto.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know Nick is right. I just hope the shop is doing the test with the tool hooked up.
I was really hoping these guys would be good... We will see...

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Didn't mean to pile on. I started that message like three posts back. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,955 Posts
Hahaha, I just saw your edit above. It's a sad sad day when your "Johnson tube" is plugged up; thank god for doctors to help with such things :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I missed that too. That sounds terrifying.

Reactions: nighthawk285

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I could have used Jesus nut or blivet knocker tube...
If you own a 6.0, you have to have a since of humor....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts