Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i searched the forums and couldn't find anything pertaining to this specific question.

On occcasion when i start my truck, the engine starts up fine for about a second, then i feel/hear about 2-3 shakes and rattles from my engine block then everything goes back to normal. It feels like one of the cylinders isn't firing up properly and needs a second or third try to get going. So far this has happened three times...

1st time - Hot day, sat out in the sun for a while.
2nd time - Inside a parking garage at night about 80 degrees
3rd time - Same as above (Today)

I'm not sure what's going on in there :dunno:. I run diesel kleen in every tank, and keep my chip in Daily about 95% of the time. I'm not sure if that helps. If anyone can provide some information on what's going on or if i should be concerned, that would be greatly appreciated. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone know what's up?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Could be your #8 injector. These engines have a weird firing order, which ends with #6, then #8. Obviously they are right in line with eachother and the #8 gets a tad less fuel because of it, it's "starved" a little compared to the rest. That is why they fail more often, and that is what the "cackle" is if you can hear it certain rpms... essentially the #8 knocks a little louder. Also because 2 cylinders fire one after another on the same side of the block, that's the powerstroke "shake" that they do.

I wouldn't worry about it if it clears up right away, when it keeps knocking and shaking just like that, all the time is when you may have a problem.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be your #8 injector. These engines have a weird firing order, which ends with #6, then #8. Obviously they are right in line with eachother and the #8 gets a tad less fuel because of it, it's "starved" a little compared to the rest. That is why they fail more often, and that is what the "cackle" is if you can hear it certain rpms... essentially the #8 knocks a little louder. Also because 2 cylinders fire one after another on the same side of the block, that's the powerstroke "shake" that they do.

I wouldn't worry about it if it clears up right away, when it keeps knocking and shaking just like that, all the time is when you may have a problem.

Thanks that'a what i was looking to hear

·
Registered
853 Posts
As stated above it could be an injector or simple a fuel supply like a little bit of drain back or air in the fuel system causing a slight miss. as long as it goes away quickly not a worry. We ahave an old 91 idi that does this when we start it, tap the pedal and it's gone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts