Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy

Have 04 6.0 that I think I have a bad FICM, but can not prove it, or air is getting in to the fuel system some how. No engine codes. I have had P0275 cylinder # 5 Contribution/ Balance code in the past.
Proplem engine will start fine run for about 10 minutes, then looses power. Injectors get noisy and then the engine will die. If you what 3 or so minutes engine will restart but then will die again after 5 minutes again.
My FCIM is a early 7 pin. Voltage key on not runnning is 48.5 volts, running 49.6 volts. ICP presure idle 945 cold, 678 warm , as you rev the motor ICP presure increases. My fuel pump presure taking at the secondary fuel filter is 54 PSI, the needle does balance a couple of bounds back and forth. I have one end of the fuel gauge in a bucket with a T valve that I ran turn on and off. When the engine dies and I cycle the fuel pump and open the T valve I seem to have air in the system. If I open the T valve and then reclose it the engine will start.
If air is getting into the system, where would it be getting in from? I have looked at the fuel lines and do not see any wet areas. Could the o rings at the pump be leaking in air.
Found this:

Troubleshooting a "no Start" condition
Troubleshooting a NO-START:Injector o-ring (or other failures) can cause a no-start condition. One easy check for injector problems:

Pull the fuse cover under steering wheel with a flat blade screw driver turn the screws 1/4 of a turn. Pull fuses 20 FICM, 40 Fuel pump, and 103 PCM. You might need a fuse puller or needle nose pliers. Be sure there is fuel above the standpipe. If you want pull fuse 40 last and use the fuel pump momentarily to fill the fuel filter housing. Then have someone crank while you watch for bubbles. Do not crank on it for more than 10 seconds max. This is the easiest way to determine mechanical condition of injectors. What happens is combustion gas will come through the pintle seat and into the fuel gallery in the head and up into the filter.

I tried the test listed below, do not see any air bubble in the filter housing, but the engine is starting fine at this time and I am tring to get it to die again. errr

This Sounds like what is going on. In doing this test will the Pintal alway leak? and show bubbles in the secondary fuel bowl housing? The tuck starts and runs should you do the test when the engine dies? Can one replace the o rings or does the injector need to be replaced.
Great sight with Great info

Tang

History
Engine now 120K
Head gasket went at 62K Replaced with head studs, removed EGR and Cooler. New oil cooler. Replace o rings and # 6 injector. New wiring harness and ICP valve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Test for bubbles in the secondary fuel filter, no bubbles found. Check cold and at operating temp. Looking in the bowl at the small fuel line, the big on is the inlet and the other big on on the side would be the return to tank line. I do some air bubble coming out of the fuel feed from the pump when I turn the starter over.

Have read a lot of issues with the HPOP system o rings going bad. When these o rings bad would one see it in the ICP numbers? Do these o rings make intermitte issues? Heating up then loosing ICP presure?

How detailed is Fords Scanner, can it see indivdaul injectors, and different signals from the FICM? Does it have away to test any of the HPOP system?

At the point just to remove all injectors, test. Replace all o rings in both banks, and replacing o rings in the HPOP

Tang

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Google for air in the fuel system check procedure.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fix

was in the sticky

Had a bad injector kicking air back into the fuel rail.

Issue was what injector? I pulled a 8 and send them out for testing. One really bad. 5 not good.

Fix replaced all 8. Up graded to the blue spring. Now running low system fuel presure at 64 PSI.

Truck has 120K with now injectors pulls again like NEW.

Issue is now, how to keep these injectors Happy for another 100K

Tang

Love the Truck but International screwed Ford. Big time. Retail sucks. a 7.3 brings more coin then a 6.0 :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts