Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6 months without a fix. Short version is:
Ford wanted to change computer and pcm. Finally found mud in the fuel tanks, cleaned tanks, lines, injectors. Replaced fuel pump.
Now it starts if it has a gasoline soaked rag or something at the air filter intake, but dies if you take that away.
No codes on the scanner. If we pull off some connector, the scanner detects the error. But does not detect anything here.

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
Welcome to the ORG! Sorry you are having such a problem. I can't help, but I can bump this up for you.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Hey there. We will definitely need more info in order to better assist you. Year of truck, types of mods, it's list of past problems, etc... I wouldn't keep putting a gas soaked rag in front of the air filter, and DEFINITELY DO NOT use ether to try and start it, unless you have money for a new engine.

If it is an 05 I might guess that it is the common STC fitting failure on the HPOP.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a 2003 F550, 6 speed.
I bought it with 99000 miles on it, shipped it here to Bolivia and it drove nicely for the first 800 miles or so. Then died. Changed fuel filter and it started, ran a little, and died again
Had it towed 90 miles or so back to the city and both batteries were dead. Replaced them and had a scanner run on it. Of course it said their was no history. then gave different signals as to various sensors, each of which checked out all right. Then no more codes.
Towed it to Ford. The mechanic said there were no codes, so it needs a new PCM. The service manager said since there were no codes, I need the computer too.
I called another mechanic and he looked at it. No power getting to PCM or computer, so he said don't waste money changing them. Towed it to his place. He disconnected and connected things all over, still no codes, but it started getting electricity to everywhere it needed.
Still wouldn't run idle, only fast. Checked the fuel filter and found mud. Cleaned the tank and lines and injectors. Still wouldn't idle. Took apart the fuel pump and found mud (don't know why he didn't check this when he cleaned the tank and lines).
Replaced entire pump assembly and cable. cleaned injectors again.
Still won't idle. Starts on the gasoline trick, dies if you release it. No error codes unless you purposely disconnect something, then it gives those errors correctly.
Lots of fuel pressure with the new pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts