Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
haters gonna hate 24/7.
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Ya'll!

I have a quick questions about my OBS:

How hard is it to swap out the 95-97 OBS powerstroke for a 99.5-03 7.3l powerstroke?? What are the pros and cons to doing the switch?? What are some things I should know about a swap of this type?? Will the E4OD bolt up or would I have to change to the 4R100??

I'm going to have to pull the engine to replace the oil pan and I was just entertaining the idea of doin the swap if it wasn't too involved and/or too costly.

Thanks! :thumb:

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
Pros:
17* HPOP
Newer turbo
E4OD bolts up

Cons:
swap injectors, or custom chip for splits
depending on SD engine year, may have PMRs

·
haters gonna hate 24/7.
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pros:
17* HPOP
Newer turbo
E4OD bolts up

Cons:
swap injectors, or custom chip for splits
depending on SD engine year, may have PMRs
What are pmr's?? Are the engine mounts in the same place on both engines?? Would I have to swap the ecu from the donor truck too??

It sounds like it isn't tooo hard..... just gotta have some patience! :nod:

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
You'll have to re-use the OBS mounts. The bolt holes on the block are the same.
PMR=powdered metal connecting rods. Pressed powder. Early SD's and OBS's have the forged rods. PMR's become unstable and will window the block when you exceed approx 400 HP. If you re-use the OBS injectors, there won't be any PCM issues. If you use the SD split shots, you'll probably need a chip such as a TW with tunes to run splits. I'd avoid swapping PCM's these days, especially with different transmissions 4R100/E4OD, and who knows what else.

·
Registered
233 Posts
im not badmouthin powerstroke. but if i were you id swap a 12 valve in er. that what i will be doing to an f350 im gettin for nothing but then again that thing has 400,000 on it thats the most iv ever heard on a powerstroke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts