Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me that if you hold a cup of diesel in front of the intake or spray ether in your intake wile your truck is started that it will so called "run away" and reach rpms of 20,000 and throw a rod through the block. They said that it can even keep going if you turn the key on since it runs on compression ? Just wondering if any of this is true ? :dunno:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant the key off pardon the mistakes

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Well it can burn the ether but the cup of diesel part cant be true, diesel is just not volitile enough to make that much vapor

·
Registered
203 Posts
You would have to constantly spray ether in the intake. It would also come apart way before 20,000 rpm. But it would stay running with the key off or on as long as you were spraying it.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
This can be useful for people who have been wrongfully denied warranty work lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
ive seen a few cats and one cummins "run-off" when i worked at a volvo semi dealer and trust me you dont want to be around when it lets loose

·
Registered
673 Posts
When the turbo seals go out the oil can go into the intake and cause a runaway also.

·
Govy Magnet
714 Posts
I'm a Diesel Generator mech, and I have also seen run-away diesels. Not a fun thing, when something that has no wheels, starts 'walking' almost 50 yards...inline John Deere 6.8ltr. Had to shove a fire extinguisher in the intake to make it stop. Stupid boot started and ran it with no governor on it, and the restraint cable missing. DUMB! Also just 2 weeks ago, I had an inline 4 (Ohnan same as Cummins just industrial side) go into overspeed and throw a piston head out the side of the block...that was an interesting night. Whenever we get home i'll post pictures of that, pretty cool, and sounded like the devil!

~Phil

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I have seen Detroit 92V diesels run away, I have seen the Cummins 250 inline six run away, and I have seen one GM 6.2L run away. It is not fun and not safe at all. I would highly recommend not doing this. It is very dangerous, because you don't know if your going to be able to shut the engine down. Also you do not know what will let loose if anything does. Or where the internal parts are going to come from or where they will go when flying out of the engine.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I have seen Detroit 92V diesels run away, I have seen the Cummins 250 inline six run away, and I have seen one GM 6.2L run away. It is not fun and not safe at all. I would highly recommend not doing this. It is very dangerous, because you don't know if your going to be able to shut the engine down. Also you do not know what will let loose if anything does. Or where the internal parts are going to come from or where they will go when flying out of the engine.
Sooo, what you're saying is that anyone who does this should get it on video and post it up here ASAP:rofl:

·
Registered
457 Posts
A friends D6 CAT ran away.... He was able to get it in high gear and get the blade down
and get enough in front and enough traction to shut it down. He sure made a mess of
the area. He knew it really needed a rebuild, but didnt think it would do that. It got
rebuilt after that :) This was 15 years ago..

·
Registered
781 Posts
seen a 6.2 run away when a kid out of high school wanted some extra cash sprayed ether into the carb and turned it over. This was the oil change kit no less. but it started and ran away till one rod cap came off and shot though the pan and the piston lifted the head then on its way down made a service port in the side of the block. Did not take long at all. And you dont have to keep spraying you just have to spray a good amount the first time.

·
Registered
203 Posts
We had a detroit 8v92 run away in our shop, luckily we got the fuel filter spun off before it scattered. Also had a series 60 get towed in with a blown turbo, it hit 4800 rpm before it locked up.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
What do ya'll mean when you say it "ran away"? You mean literally the engine wouldn't shut off and it just started idling away and drove off? i'm completely lost here :dunno: :crazy:

·
Registered
781 Posts
keeps building rpms till something gives.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i would never do this to my truck but some friends suggested if i was going to get a new engine for a 100$ on my warrenty before it goes out in feb. that this would be the way to do it but i dont think i can do that to my truck ha

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
i would never do this to my truck but some friends suggested if i was going to get a new engine for a 100$ on my warrenty before it goes out in feb. that this would be the way to do it but i dont think i can do that to my truck ha
Unless you know your engine is totally done I wouldn't try to get a new one under warranty. You never know what you'll get... I've gotten bad warranty engines.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah there is to many unpredictable factors totally not worth risking destroying my truck for a chance at an engine that might be shi**y mostly i was just curious to find out if the running away thing was true. Im with pain train i would love to see one happen from a distance

1 - 20 of 24 Posts