Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..I am a newbee (and a girl to boot) so please have mercy.

we just bought a 01 7.3 w/ 137K sight unseen (yeah, I know...)

it smokes a lot (blue white) when:
1. cold (slightly better w/ block heater)
2. warm idle (some)
3. accelerating

a commercial ford mechanic performed diagnostics (smoke stopped when cylinder shut off) replaced #4 injector and still smoked w/ new injector so did a dry compression test (why would you do it dry?!!):#2=425, #4=320, #6=430, #8=430. by the way, no codes came up but replaced cam sensor per recall.

After hearing that they did the test dry i asked that they do it wet. i don't have the numbers until tues. but it seems to still be a bad #4 cylinder.

Glow plugs and relays are new. truck has no blow-by (nothing out the dipstick or crankcase fill. v.v. slight smoke out the crankcase fill , is not rough running and seems to have good power (6 speed manual). oil not burning or foamy. no fuel in coolant overfill; no loss of coolant.

The mechanics are telling me i have a bad #4 cylinder (rings bad, cylinder scored) and need a rebuild and that what i am seeing out the exhaust is unburned fuel.

i am not pretending i know diesels, but isn't 320 high enough compression to burn fuel? would that make sense and would it cause a james bond smoke screen?

i am thinking it might be some sort of valve problem.

Please help/advise...greatly appreciated!

Thank You So Much!

another silly question...if it needs a rebuild (that i can't afford), can i run it w/o #4 to make the smoke go away. i know it will eventually trash the engine, but.....?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
welcome to the org. hope some of the techs can answer your questions.

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
"Hi..I am a newbee (and a girl to boot) so please have mercy."

Sorry...I will show you no less mercy than I will show anyone else....if you're retarded...I will tell you that you are retarded..just because your a girl, means nothing to me...

WE ARE EQUALS

BTW- Welcome to the ORG.... :hehe:

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All cylinders should be over 400psi. 320 will cause issues. I would just run it. Don't disable the injector. It should run OK, just a bit rough.

By any chance did they check for bent pushrods or other valvetrain issues? It's not likely, but there is a chance.
Hi Dirk, thanks for the reply... that's what i was thinking...my next move. but i figured i talk to you guys first and be armed with some knowledge.

would that drop in compression from a ring or cylinder wall cause so much smoke?

i'd love to run just run it, but i don't live on a farm and the cops will pull me over every 10 feet here with the smoke issue.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Don't be shy about asking ?'s. And if some retard slaps you down, someone will usually set him straight. So jump in and have fun, alot of good info here and good people.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
if you run it with no compresion on #4 the fuel will not furn and will wash down the cylinder ruining your engine. have the valve train checked to make sure its not a valve. if you had a burnt piston ring I would think you would have some bad blow by issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hello and welcome,
You ask why they did a "dry" test and not "wet". everyone starts a compression test "dry". If there is a problem like you have then they should have done a "wet" test which is just putting a little oil in the cyl. and do test again. If the numbers come up then the problem is in the rings (its harder to push the oil past the rings that are worn out so numbers will go up). If they don't then you know rings are ok and problem is in valves. then they can do a leak down test that you force compressed air into the cyl. and listen for where it comes out--- intake, exhaust, oil, coolant. if they want to spend the time they could really pin-point the problem. most mechanics jump to it and condemn the whole engine.

Hope this help you out,
Chris

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Okay first wet/dry, a diesel does not have the clearance that a gasser has and a wet test can really mess things up, the oil has no place to go when the piston comes up against the head so something has to give which could be a bad thing.
My truck got dusted by the factory air intake leaking. I drove it for over 3 years with very heavy blowby. When I ran the compression test she tested 300 on the highest cylinder and 200 on the lowest. She still ran just fine made 30 psi boost and would smoke the tires and did not smoke unless I turned the chip up high and stomped it. The smoke amount is still the same with the new engine. She was a little hard to start in very cold weather. Your problem is not so much the 320 but the difference in compression between the cylinders. I have a hard time believing it would cause so much smoke you’d have trouble with the cops. If its smoking that much then I’d look for other causes. Rebuilding is not cheap but it may be cheaper now than it would be after the engine is totally trashed. It cost me $4,000 for parts doing all the work myself. I got quoted from $6,000 to $10,000 for a new engine. Powerstrokes aren’t cheap, I’ve spent near $20,000 on parts for mine in the last 4 years. Oh and some Ford dealers are not very good or trustworthy so be careful who you let work on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hello and welcome,
You ask why they did a "dry" test and not "wet". everyone starts a compression test "dry". If there is a problem like you have then they should have done a "wet" test which is just putting a little oil in the cyl. and do test again. If the numbers come up then the problem is in the rings (its harder to push the oil past the rings that are worn out so numbers will go up). If they don't then you know rings are ok and problem is in valves. then they can do a leak down test that you force compressed air into the cyl. and listen for where it comes out--- intake, exhaust, oil, coolant. if they want to spend the time they could really pin-point the problem. most mechanics jump to it and condemn the whole engine.

Hope this help you out,
Chris
Hi Chris, Thanks for the reply. Yeah i know about the dry and the wet, what upset me was they buttoned up the engine before they did the wet and had to unbutton it again to do the wet. Hey it's only my money!!!.

I still think (wishful maybe) that it is the valve train or bad injector install.

Is there any case that you are or the forum can think of where there would be a bad piston w/o blowby? the ford guys keep telling me its a piston and it doesn't make sense to me because i have no blowby. i think they just want to sell an engine.

another question. is there anyway to test an injector to see if it is bad outside of the engine. ford replaced the injector and put in a rebuilt and i still had smoke. i figure it wasn't the injector like they first told me.

The leak down test is a good idea. i will be talking to the ford guys tues am EST. This is a big commercial outfit and so far i am not impressed.

Thanks everyone...please keep the thoughts coming! i very much appreciate your help.

Happy Memorial Day and my thanks to all of the vets and their families out there!

Cath.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi again guys.

Thanks for your help so far!

I need more HELP PLEASE!

Got the word about the wet compression test. bad news. the #4 cylinder went up 100 psi.

so what to do?

from what i understand i can do one of four things:

1. remove engine and bore the #4 cylinder and put in an oversize piston (good as long as cylinder is not scored - if it is i'm screwed i am told). #2=425, #4=320, #6=430, #8=430.

2. lift engine up enough to remove oil pan and sleeve the cylinder (can't find a mechanic around me to do this in rhode island). tried three places so far.

3. put in a long block for $10K (2 quotes so far).

4. try to find a junk yard PSD and put that in.

any thoughts or experiences on above options?

any other options i can pursue?

driving it is not an option - too much smoke for the cops around here. they pulled us over for our '67 land rover that had just passed inspection 15 minutes before (emissions too) for some smoke! and it's not nearly as bad as the PSD!

Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Geez Dirk,

I feel like you are my guardian angel out there! Thanks for getting back to me!

Any places you know of that i can look for a used PSD? sometimes certain yards specialize in certain parts or vehicles.

cath.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts