Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you all, Iam thinking of switching to AMS oil products in my truck and all my vehicles. Have you guys had or have hade any Experience with this oil? I have used Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive and Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate and have seen good results with these two, my fuel mileage as come up 1.5 miles per gallon. Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I hear Amsoil's claims are just a load of BS, but that's just me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are some of the BS clamis you are hearing? is it the mileage thing? Everyone that i talk to seems to like there products. I have had no negative reply from local people, thats why im asking to see what others are saying.

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
In my opinion...

Don't use it.

According to many peoples experience with motors that were tore down after using it it is not good for your truck. Diesels burn some oil. The higher flash temp of amsoil and whatever is in it that does not burn can create residue in the engine.

I have used it in other vehicles but not in my Ford turbo diesel.

It will not extend oil change intervals as claimed by many as a basis for using it.

It will not save fuel as some claim unless you are actually using a multi weight synthetics and comparing it to a different weight such as 5w-40 compared to 15w40 or SAE 30.

Oil has greatly improved over the last few years and premium quality base fossil oils are as good as synthetic oils.

If you need it for extreme cold you should use synthetic oil. 15w40 would not help because you need 5w40. Amsoil has 5w40 but I would use Mobil One turbo diesel 5w40. If you do not need it for extreme cold then it's not worth using it at all.

Mobile 1 turbo diesel truck oil

However.. If it makes you feel good having it in there then it is probably worth it. Cheaper than cocaine.

Perhaps Amsoil is getting a bad rap but I'm not taking any chances.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In my opinion...

Don't use it.

According to many peoples experience with motors that were tore down after using it it is not good for your truck. Diesels burn some oil. The higher flash temp of amsoil and whatever is in it that does not burn can create residue in the engine.

I have used it in other vehicles but not in my Ford turbo diesel.

It will not extend oil change intervals as claimed by many as a basis for using it.

It will not save fuel as some claim unless you are actually using a multi weight synthetics and comparing it to a different weight such as 5w-40 compared to 15w40 or SAE 30.

Oil has greatly improved over the last few years and premium quality base fossil oils are as good as synthetic oils.

If you need it for extreme cold you should use synthetic oil. 15w40 would not help because you need 5w40. Amsoil has 5w40 but I would use Mobil One turbo diesel 5w40. If you do not need it for extreme cold then it's not worth using it at all.

Mobile 1 turbo diesel truck oil

However.. If it makes you feel good having it in there then it is probably worth it. Cheaper than cocaine.

Perhaps Amsoil is getting a bad rap but I'm not taking any chances.
i have never heard that just because its diesel that it burns oil. if fact i am on my second deisel in three years and the first one never burned a drop.
where did you get the basis for that statement?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
i have never heard that just because its diesel that it burns oil. if fact i am on my second deisel in three years and the first one never burned a drop.
where did you get the basis for that statement?
Diesels burn a small amount of oil for lubrication.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Amsoil 5w 30 is all I run. Do some quailty research before switching to any oil. We ran test in universtiy on oils including free poor and viscostiy break down. First I will list the synthetics then the conventional
# 1 Amsoil good to free flow @ -64 Zero scarring on intenral parts
# 2 Esso XD - Ow 40 Free flow -51 Zero scarring on internal parts
# 3 PetroCan Duron 0w-40 Free flow -47 .14% on 25mm section
#4 Mobil1 free flow @ -42 .19% on 25mm section
# 5 Syntec -44 .31 % on 25mm section
# 6 Castrol -44 . 33 % on 25mm section
# 7 Quaker State. - 40 47 % on 25mm section The wax in this oil seperates at both high and low tempertatures and is sometimes mistaken as water on the dipstick.
#8 Royal Purple . -40 47% on 25mm section and Foamy

Conventional
#1 Esso Extra
#2 Valvoline
#3 Wallmart Brand yes it's true.
#4 Valvoline
# 5 Quaker State.

If I was going to run conventional it would be Esso Extra

Well theres my two cents. I'm not promoting any oil but I use the oil that peformed the best in the free flow and race bearing test. I was always skeptical about synthetics but not anymore. My fuel economy did go up 1mpg when I switched to Amsoil. My truck starts in -30C not plugged in any lower than that and it must be. The engine runs much smoother and believe it or not when I used to use PetroCan Duron my engine light would come on when I set the chip to heavy tow or extreme but has since went out when I switched to Amsoil. Not sure if that means anything but hey added bonus I guess.

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
Thank you Dusted. Finally someone who states facts instead of opinions. AMSOIL is the LEADER in synthetic lubrication. Always has been. Excellent products. If they offer it I use it. I change my oil every year in five vehicles and have it tested. Samples always indicate that oil is perfectly fine to continue being used. I have heard that often one year old (15,000 miles) AMSOIL will test better than other manufacturer's new oil.

I use it in everything I own and have not had an failures due to lack of lubrication.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
The only info I have seen was on the forums here. People have stated there was residue and the dealership had a problem with warranty work because of it. Others have confirmed the residue in other posts.

Personally I can't say for sure because I will not use it in my powerstroke. I use MC oil.

Perhaps the residue is from other causes like fuel contamination. Maybe it's condensation. Synthetic oils generally do not transfer heat as much as fossil oils do. Whatever the problem is I don't need it.

What are some reasons for using Amsoil in your engine?

It's not very easy to get when your on the road like other oil.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Amsoil is not hard to get just not available at retail outlets although I see some NAPA dealers are starting to carry it through the dealer program they have.Amsoil can be purchased from Raul @ streath Automotive here on the org and shipped anywhere. There has not been one documented case of Amsoil failure or warrenty work refused due to its use. I change my oil once per year with amsoil roughly 20,000kms . When the test samples are sent it the oil is still 44% in the good. My previous post has some good reason why I use Amsoil.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I am just wondering what makes it worth the trouble. I am on the road and I would carry enough oil to change it or go to Napa and buy it then take it somewhere to be changed.

Have you tested other oils to see that they have some problem?

According to the maintenance schedule you are going over the required oil change interval and if Ford were to know this they could refuse warranty work based on lack of maintenance. Not that you would tell them but they may ask for some form of proof.

If the truck was out of warranty and I was going to be somewhere to change my oil what would be the advantage? What motors were the tests conducted on?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
there are several people ON THIS FORUM who have had engine failures as a direct result of running amsoil. Would I run them in a gas motor? No, but thats only because of the absurd price. Would I run them in my powerstroke? HELLZ NO.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Here is something everyone should read who says Amsoil caused their engine failure.
Amsoil Inc warranties that the use of its lubricants will not cause mechanical damage.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2488.pdf

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
I've heard that using amsoil in a HEUI injection system is bad. :dunno: My dad runs it in his 6.5 and it works great for him. Id run it. Just not on a HEUI engine.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Amsoil is good oil. Ford will not void warranty for running it. I use it in everything I have for the last 15 years with NO problems at all.4-- Powerstrokes,Johndeer, Harley, and yes a D-max. Thats my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i use it front 2 back in my Powerstroke the last about 50K miles !!!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Well, I'm not going out of my way to use it not knowing the facts. I don't have time for the hassle involved to resolve an issue even though I doubt I personally would have one.

Mainly I don't have time to deal with the hassle of using it.

I will continue to use Motorcraft oil since it is recommended by the manufacturer and has been doing a fine job so far (not that anyone would actually know until it's too late) and is readily available anywhere.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts