Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 7.3l F250, 103k miles-I came home yesterday from a 300 mile trip. As I pulled into my driveway and stopped, I noticed my engine making a louder and more prominent clank, clunk noise- Kind of appeared to be an amplified version of my normal diesel sound when its idling…I got out of my truck with it running and about 30 secs later it quit…I havent heard this before. I wasnt pulling anything so it wasnt under any load. Any ideas? Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance for your replies..:dunno:

·
Registered
25 Posts
don't worry about it, unless it becomes much more annoying. you are probably just listening to the normal #8 long lead injector, #6 and #8 are asking for fuel almost at the same time, and they are on the same side. or you are sucking a little air. was your tank down below 1/4 tank? these trucks have a duck bill type of pick up in the tank, and at lower fuel levels can suck up some air, then on top of that, you have a dead head injector system. so once you have air that passes through the filter and into the fuel galleries in the heads it has no where to go except out the injector. air is one of the biggest enemies of the 7.3 injector. thats one reason some run a regulated return fuel system. on the other hand after all that crap i just said, some times these "old" 7.3's just plain cackle sometimes, like i said, just got to get used to it, cause it's probably not going away!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bigd4me2- I was just a bit worried because I've never heard that noise before... And yes it was around 1/4 tank on the fuel guage. Thanks for your reply and I reckon I wont worry about it!! :thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts