Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2002 F350 powerstroke crew cab with 165,xxx miles. The truck is in really good shape for the year, all I have done is change the cab lights and put wheels and tires on. Truck rides on 35s with 20x10s.....not long after buying the truck the check engine light came on, it would come on and go off and so fourth, never would stay on long. I took it to a friend who owns a semi truck buisness and shop. He hooked it up to his scanner and pulled 3 codes (at moment I cannot remember codes) he was able to clear 2 but was not able to get into the 3rd, called the program that his scanner is through and they said if it has a tune on it that it wont pull it up. I dont know if the truck was tuned, the previous owner does not either, there is no switches, monitors or anything, but the pcm has been removed at some point, truck does not run like stock.......so I never noticed a difference when the light came on until recently, the passenger side exhaust manifold gasket is torn so I have the exhaust leak sound when I give fuel, i now notice when the light comes on the exhaust leak noise stops as if air wasnt going through there. Any clues as to why the noise would stop?

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
If you're gonna keep & maintain the truck yourself I strongly suggest you get access to the special scanner software you need to do it.

To retrieve most of the codes you'll need to help and even do some testing look at the FORscan Lite or TorqueApp (you add an Android device and Blue Tooth Adapter for @ $30) OR the Windoze version with a USB adapter. I like this one for BT Android -> http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/

Just a few years ago you needed to buy a professional scan tool because our trucks need to have a scanner with a Library containing both the Ford Proprietary AND the Diesel Specific codes in it. Add to that, our trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II. Today there are some very good App based tools, that are close to what the pro tools do, for fraction of the cost.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts