Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got one for you guys cause I am scratching my head! 1 week ago I was cruising around town. I stopped at a stop sign when the engine light started to flash on and off. Engine was idling normally so I decided to see if I could get it home. I stepped on the gas to pull away from the stop sign and nothing happened, it was as if someone shut down the accelerator! I decided to try different gears, when I got to 1st gear the truck gave me just enough limp power to get across the street and off the road.

At this point I put it into park. Engine was stuttering at idle but never did fail. At this point I shut the truck down. I heard the sound of contracting metal (the sound metal makes when it gets super hot and then starts to cool). When the noise stopped (about 5 minutes) I tried to start the truck again. Started fine but when it did start the engine light came up solid and the engine almost immediately went into high idle mode. This is weird to me because the engine was at normal operating temperature. When pressing on the brake the truck would not come out of high idle. I decided to drive it home anyway because I only lived 1km away from my stopping point.

When I started the truck the next day, the engine light was gone and I havent had the same problem since? :dunno:

Here is the scary part, I live 1000km from the nearest dealer and have to drive there next week!

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,759 Posts
Need to scan for codes. It could possibly be your throttle position sensor. But with out scanning for codes first can't really tell you. Someone else may have more info for you though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had something similar happen to me when I had about 6k miles on my truck. I was driving down the highway at about 70 mph and lost all boost and power, check engine light began to flash on and off, and I barely got over to the side of the road. I shut off the truck and turned it back on and the check engine light was solid at that point & I had no power in any of the gears. My truck would not go past 35 mph and my rpm would not go above 2500 and that was with the throttle all the way down. To make a long story short they ended up replacing the PCM harness due faulty wiring. Before that I had my CEL come on 2 times w/different codes. I know have 8k miles and so far I can't complain.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im sure it could be many things! If it makes it to the dealer then right on. However if it leaves me stranded in bum f**k nowhere then I will be pretty pissed off. I dont even have 5000 miles yet.

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
from my understanding , if the check engine light is flashing , that means it is in limited power mode , which is caused by an overheat on one of the three egt sesnors , it should also say , pull over now safely on the read out , just delt with this on 550, would drive good for about ten miles and then start doing that , ended up being the last egt sensor behind the dpf filter giving false signal to ecm and causing that concern

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at the manual and it seems to make sense that it would be a problem with emissions control. Definitely was in limited power mode. The book also says that if it was caused by heat the engine light should go away within 3 driving cycles. That was the case the next day when I started it. We'll see what the dealer says if I make it there. :tard:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I looked at the manual and it seems to make sense that it would be a problem with emissions control. Definitely was in limited power mode. The book also says that if it was caused by heat the engine light should go away within 3 driving cycles. That was the case the next day when I started it. We'll see what the dealer says if I make it there. :tard:
I had the excact same thing happen to me the rpms dropped to 500 and it sounds like its gonna die .....I know the truck was in regen and i shut it off and restarted it and it was fine

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I made it to the city without any problems thanks god! That was quite a trip while worrying about another problem happening! Anyways the truck was in the shop and it was one of the EGT sensors bringing up the engine light. They simply replaced the sensor and sent me on my way. Im glad it was nothing serious but still, I live way to far from a dealer for that to be happening again. Just wanted to come back and give a heads up. Thanks for the ideas guys! :icon_ford:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My gosh, where do ya live a thousand kilometers is a long way. Glad ya got it fixed!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Haha, yea thats a long drive reliability is very important to ya!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.