Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to how long some of you guy's have had your tuner's installed and not had any problems. I am so close to buying a dp tuner, I just don't want to prematurely kill my 7.3 as impossible as that might be :icon_ford::hehe:. I know some of you guys will give me some legit miles you have run with the tuner and your fuel economy with no problems

thanks tom

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
The myth about chips or programmers killing a powertrain come from ignorant people who don't do any research prior to purchase. They see an add in a magazine and pick up the phone. If you go adding 100 extra ponies to a powertrain that wasn't deigned to handle it, you are going to have failures. If you perform the proper supporting mods first your truck can actually be more reliable. I know for a fact that my truck after all my mods, works much less to perform it's duties than it did in stock form, this has to mean longer engine life. Now if you abuse this power and want to "roll the coal" at every stoplight you will pay the price, same as you would in a stock truck. My 2000 has only 70K on the clock, 1/2 of those have been with DP tunes. I personally know many folks who have run DP's tunes for 100, 150 and even 200K with no failures that can be attributed to the extra power. But all these folks did the proper mods prior to calling Jody. I have typed this so many times but here goes again. First you need gauges, pyro, boost and trans if you have a slushbox, next you need more airflow which means intake and exhaust, and if you have a auto trans you need to support the weak 4R100 with a VB. I like the FTVB myself. Only after these mods are done should you be adding more ponies. Check out my sig and follow with similiar mods and you will have a very reliable truck, with lot's of power!!!

NCH

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The myth about chips or programmers killing a powertrain come from ignorant people who don't do any research prior to purchase. They see an add in a magazine and pick up the phone. If you go adding 100 extra ponies to a powertrain that wasn't deigned to handle it, you are going to have failures. If you perform the proper supporting mods first your truck can actually be more reliable. I know for a fact that my truck after all my mods, works much less to perform it's duties than it did in stock form, this has to mean longer engine life. Now if you abuse this power and want to "roll the coal" at every stoplight you will pay the price, same as you would in a stock truck. My 2000 has only 70K on the clock, 1/2 of those have been with DP tunes. I personally know many folks who have run DP's tunes for 100, 150 and even 200K with no failures that can be attributed to the extra power. But all these folks did the proper mods prior to calling Jody. I have typed this so many times but here goes again. First you need gauges, pyro, boost and trans if you have a slushbox, next you need more airflow which means intake and exhaust, and if you have a auto trans you need to support the weak 4R100 with a VB. I like the FTVB myself. Only after these mods are done should you be adding more ponies. Check out my sig and follow with similiar mods and you will have a very reliable truck, with lot's of power!!!

NCH

Judging by his siginiture, Im gonna go ahead and guess hes got an exhaust, gauges, and intake....As for the chip, I havent had any problems with my tony wildman, so naturally Im not gonna complain, its good stuff all around.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can you guys elaborate on what an FTVB is and what it does.
I am also looking into mods and will be building the DIY intake because my truck came with a K&N installed and 3 months after I took delivery of the truck I lost the first cylinder rocker arm and had to chip in half for a used engine to be installed $5000!!!
I'm not letting that happen again and I want too try and do thinkgs right and mostly myself because finding a good techie in B'more MD has been quite the obstacle.
I have a decent exhaust already and get the gauges side of the discussion.
Thanks for the help.
Is it cool to PM NCHornet, Maintain, or Smitty with more questions later?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
the FTVB is a valve body for the transmission, i have a manual, so I dont have it but do a search on the forum and you should be able to find some more information. Its cool to PM ill answer what I can. and the DIY intake if very functional, if you dont care about appearance, if you want to look good under the hood then go with the AFE stage 2 with PG7, I love mine, and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've had my Tony Wildman chip (www.totaldieselperformance.com) now for 70K miles and have towed my camper From Oklahoma to Colorado, South Dakota & Florida many times over the past 3 years. I agree with NCHornet about the supporting mods prior to the HP increase. The Valve Body is a minimum for the 4R100 auto tranny and start saving for a Torque Converter since that will be the weak link in the chain.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The chips aren't going to take away from your engine life unless you beat on it constantly and let the EGTs go way overboard and melt something. Basically it would be user error. Last I heard Jody at DP Tuner is the only place that has cylender pressure testing equiptment so he has a safer tune that will better maximize the power. I know Tadd at Elite Diesel used to have cylender pressure monitoring equipment as well and have heard of some really nice tunes comming from him. Personally I'm currently running tunes from Dave Lott at DI. They are very good as well.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
NCHornet does have an intake in his sig...AIS

You asked what a valve body does? An aftermarket valve body increases line pressure in your auto tranny and firms up the shifts. I'm someone else could elaborate more on this.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Seems like your questions have already been answered. I will always mention supporting mods even if the OP has them or part of them. To many people out there throwing extra ponies at a stock powertrain and then drive like an idiot and blame the tune for the problems.
The FTVB does way more than a $50 shift kit for thechnical differences between the two Greg Evans use to have a letter on dieselsites website explaing the difference between the two. It is what sold me on the FTVB, back then JW and BTS didn't make them. Greg has been working on the 4R100 for a living longer than anybody I know.
On the intakes, just remember the increased noise that comes from a open air element. I myself don't care for it, but there are some stripping insulation off their intercooler plumbing to make it even louder!!! My days of wanting a loud truck are long since gone. That is why I went with the AIS intake, looks factory, because it is made by Ford, it flows all the air my truck needs, and NOTHING will filter better than the AIS, and filtration was my main concern, dirt is the biggest killer to a diesel engine.
Feel free to PM me with any ? everone else does, lol!!!!

NCH

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Only VB to get is a BTS or John Wood's. Tony Wildman is the man! I would check all the I blew up my engine posts on the various forums and see what they were using for tunes and make your decision.

Cary

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Only VB to get is a BTS or John Wood's. Tony Wildman is the man! I would check all the I blew up my engine posts on the various forums and see what they were using for tunes and make your decision.

Cary

Total BS...

And I would bet money if you called and talked to Tony he would say the same thing.

Tuning is not blowing up these motors, How many motors has Luke blown???

I have run TS, DI, Elite, DP and Tony... No blown motors for me...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
finally someone answered the actual question...

lol j/k guys are your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks tom

·
Registered
959 Posts
Total BS...

And I would bet money if you called and talked to Tony he would say the same thing.

Tuning is not blowing up these motors, How many motors has Luke blown???

I have run TS, DI, Elite, DP and Tony... No blown motors for me...
:hehe::hehe: No kidding! :hehe::hehe:

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
How can I get a hold of tony to have my ts reburned with his tunes?

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
thanx white buffalo, quick question, what mpgs do you get?

·
Vendor
469 Posts
I didn't mention DP..I mentioned tunes..and some Tunes seem to be on more blown engines than others..I would stay away from those..TUNES!

Cary
Some TUNERS are installed in MORE TRUCKS than others...WAY more! If you play the odds game, the tuner installed in the highest number of modded trucks (particularly heavily modded trucks) also has the highest probability of being in a truck that breaks parts. So, was it the tuner, or was it the other mods in the truck? This "blame game" is getting old, particularly when it's constantly coming from one particular "camp". If the only way to promote the products of your favorite tuner is to try to make the competition look like they're blowing stuff up, that doesn't speak well for the "product" you favor...must not have enough merits of it's own to stand on.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts