Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to diesels. Why does it lag so bad when you first hit the accelerator? It's a good 1-1.5 seconds before it starts to move quickly. Even on the freeway going 60 mph you floor it to pass someone and it takes a second to kick in.

My questions are is this normal and something all diesels do? Would a programmer make a quicker response time?

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Turbo lag

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It's completely normal, turbo lag. Turbo lag is the time required to change power output in response to a throttle change, noticed as a hesitation or slowed throttle response when accelerating from idle as compared to a naturally aspirated engine. This is due to the time needed for the exhaust system and turbocharger to generate the required boost. Inertia, friction, and compressor load are the primary contributors to turbo lag. Superchargers do not suffer this problem, because the turbine is eliminated due to the compressor being directly powered by the engine.

There are some things you can do to improve lag, just read around on the forums and you'll find tons of great info on how to improve throttle response and low end power.

·
Registered
598 Posts
1-1.5 second Turbo lag is a dream for both my OBS fords lol. I have a solid 4-6 second Turbo lag. Prolly due to a large single Turbo lol. Completely normal tho. If you play RPMs right, you can eliminate it completely. Like driving down the street at high RPM second gear. Your truck won't hesitate. But that's cheating lol.

Sent from my LG-P925 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
843 Posts
Getting familiar with "driving the turbo" will help in reducing lag. A good truck driver learns to keep the turbo spooled instead of driving the truck, they drive the turbo.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Getting familiar with "driving the turbo" will help in reducing lag. A good truck driver learns to keep the turbo spooled instead of driving the truck, they drive the turbo.
exactly and dont moan over 1 second of lag lol it cost me about 2000 dollars to get mine down to about 1 second maybe even 1.5 seconds hahaha since your new to diesels the more you drive it the more you will figure it out. your year model truck has 2 turbos ( compound turbos ) that actually is designed to reduce turbo lag so your rollin like a big shot lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. I owned a titan before my super duty and had a banks intake and exhaust and bully dog gt programmer so it was super responsive and quick. Just have to get use to diesel trucks.

·
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere
1,898 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I owned a titan before my super duty and had a banks intake and exhaust and bully dog gt programmer so it was super responsive and quick. Just have to get use to diesel trucks.
Tune this truck and learn how to drive the turbo and I guarantee you will blow the doors off of your old Titan. And more...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
compound turbos have very little lag. not trying to boast but after tuning/mods i have little to no lag even on conservative settings. the potential is there. open her up!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My previous truck was a Titan. Loved it! Tuned my 6.4 once the warranty was over and there's no comparison - the diesel is more fun to drive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts