Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 6.0L. When i accelerate there seems to be air blowing back through the air filter. When this happens there is a lack of power. It also does this occasionally when i let off the throttle suddenly. The best description I can give is that it sounds like the engine i coughing. does anyone know what this is.

·
COLLEGE KID
3,226 Posts
Make sure you bump this post up in the morning when everyone is awake. The best way to get hits on a thread is reply to the post so it comes to the top of "Most recent posts" so people can see it. right now all the techs are at the bar. they will be back tomorrow late morning or afternoon

I have no idea how to fix engine problems but until you get it figured out I would park it so you dont damage anything more than you have to

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Not sure what causes it but

Welcome To The ORG!

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
No, mine does it under exceleration when my turbo is making more boost then my engine can swallow!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm wondering if the current Ford programing is the cause? K&N Air System and Gibson 5" exhaust. I'm thinking about adding a Banks Economind?

·
Registered
453 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, it does "fart" as in the video too, but I only notice this happening when it occurs during exceleration up-hill. It occurs in high gear (auto) at around 45 MPH and you would expect it to drop down a gear or two but it continues to pull and occasionally "farts" blowing black smoke puffs with an intermittent loss of power. When you lift it "farts" then drops down a gear and off she goes! I haven't been able to repeat it for a week or two??

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Yes, it does "fart" as in the video too, but I only notice this happening when it occurs during exceleration up-hill. It occurs in high gear (auto) at around 45 MPH and you would expect it to drop down a gear or two but it continues to pull and occasionally "farts" blowing black smoke puffs with an intermittent loss of power. When you lift it "farts" then drops down a gear and off she goes! I haven't been able to repeat it for a week or two??
Sounds like the vanes in your turbo were carboned up and sticking. See what happens over the next few weeks. Do you drive it really easy, or do you get on it hard every now and then? People that drive them really easy tend to have corbon issues with the variable vanes more often than others you drive it hard every know and then. Also your egr valve is probly carboned up pretty good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I clean the EGR every 10K miles, but I normally take it easy. However over the last few weeks, I have been giving it a little more hell. Is there a cleaning procedure or just keep punching it?

·
Registered
453 Posts
from what ive seen cleaning a turbo is a pretty in depth process that i will not attempt myself, to many things to mess up

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Yes there is away to clean the turbo, but i recomend just to continue driving if its been ok laitly. If you have more trouble feel free to pm me and i will be glad to help you out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts