Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
i dont think so but i thught about getting one untill i saw the price, but then again i dont really have a use for one that much so for me one wouldnt be worth it for the price

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a BD brake on my 2001 F-350 6 speed and it hold your trailers back without using the service brakes on the truck

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
That is not correct they are for either trans. A friend bought one for his 95 manual and works great.

US Gear was the nicest one we could find that went inline on the exhaust. The ones that bolt to the turbo disrupt the air flow and performance just like the stock EBPV.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice thanks i thought i wasnt going to be able to do this. do the realy help wit slowing do when towing?

·
Registered
511 Posts
He just put his on, hasn't used it much and only tows a large slide-in camper. Everyone else tows but has more axles with more brakes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have electric brake for all the trailers and the work but i thought i might look in to it to save the brakes

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, exhaust brakes really do help. I used them for years on a 335 cummins. I like the real "Jacobs Brake" better, but they don't have them for light weight diesels as far as I know.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yes, exhaust brakes really do help. I used them for years on a 335 cummins. I like the real "Jacobs Brake" better, but they don't have them for light weight diesels as far as I know.
Do you know what the difference is between the two?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think the "jake" brake is a plate that goes on the head, IIRC, they're about an inch thick plate, looking from the outside. But, they actually do something with the valves, hold them closed or open maybe?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do you know what the difference is between the two?
Soaggydogg, you can go to jacobsbrake.com and it will give the information between the Jacobs engine (Compression) brake and an exhaust brake. In the 1950s, Jacobs/Cummins had a few trucking companies across the country test the engine compression brake. I used one of the test units for several months on a 1957 Peterbilt COE 3 axle semi tractor with a 262 Cummins engine. Over the years I have used the engine brake for over a million miles and a the "Blue Ox" brand exhaust brake for about a million miles. The Jacobs engine compression brake wins hands down. Qualifications? 46 years and over 4 million miles over the road trucking.

·
SOOPAH DOOTIE
39 Posts
I have a pac brake that i don't think i am going to use. They are supposed to be about the best on the market for light duty/ motorhomes, it replaces the warmup valve. Mine is for the 94-97 models so it will bolt right on, yours is a 5 speed, correct?

·
Registered
683 Posts
do the realy help wit slowing do when towing?
Ya, it helps a bunch. I have the diy set up on my truck and I would say it gives around 15% more engine braking than just letting off the fuel. When I was in towing I had a Banks Exhaust brake on one of my little Cat's and it would give about 30% better than without one. Definitely saves the brakes.

To bad no one has made a true compression brake for small motors like a Jake brake. Jake brakes change the exhaust valve timing so it opens right after TDC of the power stroke, so the hole motor becomes a big brake.:nod: In some of the big truck motors they get more braking power from the Jake brake than the motor makes in pulling power.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts