Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my truck with no heater block hook-up. My question is what is it i need to buy from ford to install this option? Hopefully it's just the cord... Thanks a ton:dunno:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I believe it's just installing the cord. All blocks have the heater installed already.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
you need the cord and the element

you'll have to drain the primary cooling system and on the right side of the block above the starter there is a plug with a 9/16" internal hex you'll have to remove to screw in the block heater element

be prepared for a coolant bath and have a couple gallons of specialty orange and distilled water on hand. the primary cooling system holds a lot(5-6 gallons rings a bell), you could always save the old coolant but there's really no good in it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bummer

ya, that sucks. I looked to see if the element was there and like you said there is just the hex plug, bummer. My 07 had the element. :doh:

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
yeah all 6.0s had the element installed in the block. 6.7 either has the element and cord or nothing at all

·
Registered
347 Posts
My 6.7 has neither element, nor cord. Which is kind of funny, because Iowa is one of the defined cold weather states on Fords Website.. Luckily, even with negative 20's and 30's last winter, I never needed to plug her in

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
My 6.7 has neither element, nor cord. Which is kind of funny, because Iowa is one of the defined cold weather states on Fords Website.. Luckily, even with negative 20's and 30's last winter, I never needed to plug her in
Apparently there is no rhyme or reason. I live in florida and just bought my truck last week and it had the cord on it. Probably never use it.:dunno:

·
Registered
674 Posts
You maybe already realize it, but there is allot of wear that takes place on an engine if you start it with out plugging it in - when its minus anything. The oil is too thick to properly lube the rings.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
you'll waste more fuel too. we run off of heat

·
Registered
347 Posts
You maybe already realize it, but there is allot of wear that takes place on an engine if you start it with out plugging it in - when its minus anything. The oil is too thick to properly lube the rings.
I would love to plug my truck in, in the winter, when it is -0 outside, however when I called the dealership on my truck not having even a block heater installed in the block, they played dumb about it! What else can I do, I'm not going to pay to have something installed that should have been there from the Factory.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I would love to plug my truck in, in the winter, when it is -0 outside, however when I called the dealership on my truck not having even a block heater installed in the block, they played dumb about it! What else can I do, I'm not going to pay to have something installed that should have been there from the Factory.
Don't blame you for being pissed - I bought my truck off the lot in Tennessee and it has a block heater. For a dealership in a northetn state to not specify a block heater when ordering a $55000 diesel truck is almost criminal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts