Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put together a repair kit to keep in the truck and I want to get yalls opinions on what to include.

Here is what I am thinking so far;
CPS
ICP
IPR
PCM
IDM
O-ring kit
Computer diagnostic tool (maybe a predator programmer)
¼ and ½ Socket and wrench set with the special deep 1-1/8 for the IPR
A 3,000 psi gauge with hose and fittings for the high pressure oil
A 100 psi gauge and fittings for fuel pressure
Spare fuel filters
Extra gallon of engine oil
Extra gallon of tranny fluid

What do yall think? Anything else worth including?

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My buddy broke down last weekend when we were going to a tractor show. It took us around 17 hours to get everything back home. We tried changing parts like the CPS and IPR on the side of the road then gave up. The next day he pulled the valve cover and found a plug laying on the head. He screwed it back in and put it all back together and she ran fine. That got me to thinking, if we had the right stuff we could have fixed it in around 3 hours or less instead of the 17 hours of hauling. Also what if I hadn’t been with him or if it happened to me on a long trip.

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s a good point, I might be in good clothes so maybe I should include some of those cheap mechanics overalls and some hand wipes.
Also adding the misc small hand tools is a good one too.
The prayers would start when the motor died and there would have to be intermittent breaks for more of them too.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fuel bowl heater, I had one short out and kill mine one time.
I don’t got one of them no more, one of the many things I have deleted, if you do have one short out all you got to do is unplug it and change the fuse. That brings up another one, at least 2 spare fuses of every size!

Great idea. I want to do this too. I also need to get under there and take out and put back in my CPS. Never done it myself.

I was thinking about a how-to manual also. Oh yeah and Scuffy828's phone number! :thumb:
When my buddy broke last weekend his wife called mine and in the 5 minutes it took for me to get turned around and back down to where they were (stuck in the middle of the right lane at a light in the middle of town) he was just finishing swapping his cps with his spare. Definitely harder in that situation and with a hot engine so yea practicing at home with a cold motor is a good idea.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Coolant, brake fluid, duck tape, coat hanger, jumper cables, rope, string(have found quite a few uses for those at times), extra serpentine belt, screw driver set, electric air pump, spare fuses, spare electrical wire and splicing tools and parts and electrical tape(all that can come in handy)

·
Registered
782 Posts
also i keep a spare set of Fuel Filters

·
Registered
286 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
All that would carry would be what ever tools I always have, a CPS, TPS, gallon of oil, and a gallon of water but only because I learned on a 6.0 :rofl:

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
just throw ur tool box in the back and go lol.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Tire plugs.......can't say enough about them....Yeah a patch is better...but a lot of us can't run that factory spare.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts