Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before we get started for those of you who don't know the truck is a 1994 powerstroke extended cab long bed 5 speed stock other than K & N in factory filter box. Okay so i was doing so checking on my truck i decide to take the alternator and both batteries to get them checked today. When i removed the alternator i was suprised and scared to find that the postive lead that polts down coming from the starter solenoid was burnt almost completely through so completely through that trying to get the plastic cap off it broke off!! So there is that problem and i think i might have some other shorts possible. Okay here we go number 7 fuse in the power dist. box (under hood) is showing direct short to neg. this is trailer left stop/ turn and also number 6 same way which is trailer right stop/ turn. Okay then now on the inside inst. panel fuses 8 dome light, radio memory, speddo, visor illum., warning buzzer 10 instrument illumination 17. diesel indicators, gauges, tach, warning buzzer, indicators. I am not sure but i think that these should not all be showing a direct short (continuity) please help and also what do you all think about the alternator wire just the 360,000 miles or what. Also the alternator was bad waiting on a new one seems like everything on the 94's you got to wait on! Anyways please help is needed ASAP my baby is down and until i get these problems fixed not going to bring her up already lost a f series to a fire in 2001 it was a 1989 f-150 reg cab long bed lariat 5.8L 351W exhaust system wheels can't have it happen again!!!:icon_ford::bump:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wow, sorry to heat that. I guess you have to trouble shoot. I would hook up 1 battery, no alternator, replace fuses and turn key, see if they blow again. Also check with a good clamp on amp meter if there is any juice flowing with the battery connected and everything turned off. Another place I would look is at the trailer connection plug, maybe it has rotten over time and connected all wires together in there. And then of course try to inspect as much wiring harness anywhere as you can, at that age and miles maybe something somewhere just rubbed long enough to burn through, so to speak...
Anyways, I would look at a lot of things before hooking up that new alternator, you don't want an existing short to kill right away.

Not much help I know but electrical stuff sucks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone else need help please!!!!:dunno:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
by the way i never said i was blowing fuses i said or meant that i am getting continuity from fuses to ground i was asking is this normal or not on the fuses above!!:icon_ford::dunno:

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
I'm not good at electrical either..... but it sure doesn't sound right.

Maybe send the link to this thread to one of the techs so they see it quicker.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do i send a link to a tech? Sorry i am new at this!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also i didn't think that sounded right either!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Burnt wire terminal

When a wire is not making good contact it causes heat that in time could burn up the terminal.Also dropping the voltage across it. The fuse block would show continuity if it had + voltage to it and the frame being -volts.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
if any of the circuits you are testing have an indicator light, coil, motor winding or other device connected then you will read low resistance to ground through the devices. One has to be careful not to mistake a device load for a short.

Jim

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
do you have a multi meter or a test light. if you have multi meter test all of those fuses to see if your getting power through them. the test the resistance of the wire going from your load side of the fuse to the load or switch which ever comes first as . then test the resistance of your ground wire. as stated above check all connectors for loose wires

·
Registered
214 Posts
when you show power to ground your only show the curcuit has a draw on it this is norm a way tofind direct short is to diconect neg cable put meter or test lamp between the cable and terminal you will show volt draw then start pulling fuses are your batt draining down over night if not then theres no direct short check the connection on that wire make sure your alt did not go to full field charge with todays car and truck they all show a draw so it some times hard tofind short just start isolating curcuits i hope i was some hlp

·
Registered
214 Posts
:rofl:when you show power to ground your only show the curcuit has a draw on it this is norm a way tofind direct short is to diconect neg cable put meter or test lamp between the cable and terminal you will show volt draw then start pulling fuses are your batt draining down over night if not then theres no direct short check the connection on that wire make sure your alt did not go to full field charge with todays car and truck they all show a draw so it some times hard tofind short just start isolating curcuits i hope i was some hlp

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have added fog lights but nothing else there is a amp wire that has been disconnected for some time now the truck has had some minor problems since i bought it just didn't start till after i paid for it and didn't do them in test drive. It does have a aftermarket alarm that was on the truck when i purchased it! Did you read about my main postitive from my alternator to the starter relay/solenoid being burned almost completely through but if this was a short it should have blown the in line fusible links right? SO is this whole problem maybe that the wire has been going bad for some time now and strands got less and less causing problems. i haven't got around to the grounds yet but i don't seem to have a problem on the truck anywhere with getting a ground! The problems were around before the fog lights and amp were installled and after but amp is not installed wire is there but no fuse in fuse block! alternator also tested bad got a new one through warranty! Both batteries tested good and i have cahrged them up they are out of the truck and i am waiting on the time and money to get a wire somehow i can't seem to find any 12 guage fusible links anywhere yet!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still think its a good truck for the 3800 i paid for it! even though i have dumped some into it very strong 360,000 mile truck!

·
Registered
371 Posts
What are you using to check continuity? Coke54 got it right when he said you are going to show continuity. What were the original symptoms that caused you to start doing some checking? How did your alternator bench test turn out?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
do some of you all read completely i have said like 5 times alternator tested bad i have a wire burnt my meter is a fluke with a continuity tester that will sound a beep and it does there is no power to anything being alternator and batteries are out waiting for me to get a way to make or go find a new wire from the starter relay to the alternator being it burned through at the back of the alternator. plus the two trailer turn fuses shouldn't have a bulb on them or anything else being there is no trailer attached now!

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it's okay just frustrated the alt wire on my truck runs to the starter solenoid hot side on the fender it was burnt at the alternator!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts