Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a funky problem goin on. I searched and didn't find anything really helpful.

For about the 1st 20 minutes after starting my truck the dash lights will flicker uncontrolably. I'm talking about the parking brake, airbag, and a couple others. Sometimes its just one flash and then another and sometimes its non stop flashing for like 5 seconds at a time real fast. There is no kind of order to it it just does it. It didn't seem like it was affecting anything so I just dealt with it cause after alittle bit it goes away and then might do it periodicaly like once. But the other day I started noticing that when it would do it the trans would shift out of over drive. Me and my buddy was towin my 20' car hauler with a jeep in it and cruising along at 65mph on level hwy and the dash lights flickered and it down shifted and would not go back into od. I had to hit the brake to get it to shift. It did it a couple of more times before we got home. On the way to work this morning I was running about 45mph in od and sure enough the dash lights start goin nuts and the truck downshifts out of od. It did it two more times before I got to work. Anybody have any ideas???

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anybody tell me what the three relays are on the left of the fuse panel under the dash? I've discovered that if I grab any of them and wiggle them I can duplicate the dash lights flickering. Could I have bad relays? In my experience when a relay goes bad it just dies and doesn't act up before hand.

·
Registered
87 Posts
!

I'm going to guess that your fuse box layers are starting to seperate. Its a fairly common problem with the early super duties. I just put a new fuse box in one for the same concerns.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How skilled must one be to tackle this job? I have never heard of this before which isn't saying much. I have searched everywhere and have found nothing resembling what your stating. Would I need to take it to the dealer to fix this?

·
Registered
87 Posts
!

The first time you do it, it can be intimidating. But it makes a little more sense when you have the new one in your hand. Its not bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts