Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I’m new to this forum and I came for some opinions from those who have had more experience with a 6.0 for a while. Recently I just purchased a 2005 f250 6.0 and right off the bat I loved this truck first couple of weeks, then my nightmare began and after cold starting my truck and driving it to work, it wouldn’t turn back on once it had warm’d up. I ended up spending 7k on parts and labor and just got it back a month ago and had it for 3 days when all of a sudden it was stolen right infront of my mother in laws house. I recovered it and not in good shape. New fuel wheels, gone. Batteries, gone. 3k in Tools gone and these idiots couldn’t take the aftermarket radio out so they completely destroyed my dashboard.... and to top it all OFF the cut about 60-70 wires (more than likely from ecm and other components) underneath the steering wheel (I’ll add some pics) now I just want to see what options I have and what’s the best one. Since I just recently put 9-10k total plus the 14k I just payed for it I’m on a 2.5k budget and would like to see where that would get me. I’ve asked around at a bunch of shops and all are say to solder the wires for 1,500-2000$ but solder or replace? Just asking for opinions on the situation and if it would possibly
be a easy fix from home.

·
Administrator
22,420 Posts
Unless you plan on doing this all yourself, I would let the ins total loss that truck, your budget wont get that running.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
+1 on insurance taking it. It sucks with the money you spent refurbishing it but if you solder the wires more than likely you will have problems down the road with it. And since they are all soldered you will be looking for a needle in a haystack. I would say replace the whole harness but it looks like there is more than one

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Yeh, itemize all the add ons and let the insurance company total it out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I did a full wire tuck on my mustang along with ecu swap. So figure 500 wire splices over 15 years ago with zero issues. Buy it back from the insurance company once they total it and fix it in your spare time.

Reactions: 6oWap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey everyone, dumb question. I’ve had my f250 6.0 for about 3 months (mind you I never owned a diesel before but have done my research on the 6.0 and have some good knowledge or diesels in general) but one question that always has me lingering is how long can they sit without being warmed up to operating temps, especially with this cold winter going on. Mines was stolen, recovered and now sitting at my cousins shop until all the electrical can be fixed and it’s been roughly a month since it was last turned on. How much longer can I leave it like this and what can happen if I do. Seen so many different answers online and just need too see some more to know what I’m getting into once it’s fixed . Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1 on insurance taking it. It sucks with the money you spent refurbishing it but if you solder the wires more than likely you will have problems down the road with it. And since they are all soldered you will be looking for a needle in a haystack. I would say replace the whole harness but it looks like there is more than one
Yeah it’s about 3 harnesses in all and about 70-90 wires. Couple shops didn’t even want to work with it. Soldering all these wires will come with it’s own expense after a while. Planning on getting something done within the next month. Cant afford to loose this truck anymore, atleast once she’s fixed she’ll be running like new hopefully

·
Administrator
22,420 Posts
Hey everyone, dumb question. I’ve had my f250 6.0 for about 3 months (mind you I never owned a diesel before but have done my research on the 6.0 and have some good knowledge or diesels in general) but one question that always has me lingering is how long can they sit without being warmed up to operating temps, especially with this cold winter going on. Mines was stolen, recovered and now sitting at my cousins shop until all the electrical can be fixed and it’s been roughly a month since it was last turned on. How much longer can I leave it like this and what can happen if I do. Seen so many different answers online and just need too see some more to know what I’m getting into once it’s fixed . Thanks
Two things occur, gelled fuel from the cold and dead batteries.

Cars sit at the dealer for months before they are sold.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts