Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it was better to get an electric or hydraulic winch. I have a buddy who's an electric engineer and he used to work at Artic Cat. When he was there he did some testing on Warn winches. At peak pulling they draw alot of current. The 16.5ti I am looking at draws 530 amps. He said that when you shut the off they can cause a backlash and throw that current back into the truck and possibly fry electrical components. He said to get a hydraulic winch instead. I have heard of people frying their power steering pumps on the hydraulic's though. I was wondering what experiences people have had and what you guys suggest.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure about the electric coming back and frying stuff, but I'd go with electric since if you're truck isn't running anymore- out of fuel, or other stupid problem that needs to be fixed in a safer area, you can at least winch yourself into a better position.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
What is this going on a truck or a quad.

Coming from experince of 10 years with winches on trucks I can tell you this.

1. I have never seen anything electrical on a truck get fried from a winch
2. When the truck don't run the hydraulic winch don't work
3. Bigger the winch the less it works when pulling which means less power draw from the batteries

Now if hooked up correctly the electric is the way to go. On a superduty I would recommend at least the 12,000 pound warn winch. Or you can go with the new big massive 15,000pounder. You will need a bigger alternator or dual alternators. Not really necessary but I recommend them.

Hydraulic, you need a way to supply the hydraulic system. This is usually done through a pump like the powersteering pump. Which means if the truck is broke and engine doesn't run. You pretty much stuck.

There are more things that can go wrong with a hydraulic winch. Lines bust, seals blow out, pumps break, valves stick open or close.

My honest opinion is go with a name brand electric winch. I prefer Warn, or Ramsey, or Mile Marker.

·
Registered
506 Posts
electric would be my choice. Hent said what I was going to, hydraulic only works when the truck is running unless you have a gas powered hydro pump in your truck bed (doubtful), and some stock steering pumps really don't have the output to optimally run the winch. I think you also lose some pull if you try turning when winching. My three winches are all electric.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd go at least the 12k, probly bigger.

I was going to get either a milemaker or warn. If I got a hydraulic it would be a milemaker.

The thing is if it draws 500+ amps your truck better be running anyway. A hydraulic can work underwater and run forever. They don't heat up like the electric's do.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'd go at least the 12k, probly bigger.

I was going to get either a milemaker or warn. If I got a hydraulic it would be a milemaker.

The thing is if it draws 500+ amps your truck better be running anyway. A hydraulic can work underwater and run forever. They don't heat up like the electric's do.
If your winch is underwater so is the motor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The winch is about 1 1/2 feet lower then the intake. So it could be underwater and the intake isn't. Plus if you put a snorkle kit on it you could go way under.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Electric Winches work under water. I know I have done it.

The M998 hummer that the Marine Corps has, is equiped with deep water fording kit. Is able to go into water as deep as 60inches. This puts the winch well under the water. With water tight connections the winch will work. Problem is getting to the winch. So what I would do in the Marines is pull the cable out first. Have the remote in hand. If for some reason I got stuck under water. Toss the cable to dry land and winch out.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
From experience with both I would still go electric. Yes they can overheat, but if operated properly will not. My experience with Hydraulic, they are awesome winches, don't lose power etc, but trying to free spool one is a :cenosred: especially if it is cold out.. another bad thing about hydraulic, if you spring a leak you're done... until you get the leak fixed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I think I'll go electric.

Hey, bigcountry, I see you're not far from me. I put a veg oil kit on my truck and it's running great. If you want to check it out we can get together. My parents live in Belleville so I drive by Willis all the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts