Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Electric fans

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  94_one_ton 
#1 ·
I have a chance to buy two 10 or two 14 inch fans that I can hookup that will run on a thermostat to kick on when needed. Has anyone done this or interested in doing so? Any ideas on pro's & con's??

#2 ·
i did it on my toyota prerunner and love it. right now i just have a single 14" fan wired to a switch. the only problem is trying to get the right temp thermo so it turns on in time but doesnt run all the time. they make ones that are adjustable (on and off temp) but they are EXPENSIVE compared to the reg ones but i like the idea.

#3 ·
I was just reading a post on here the other day - electrics are fine for the trucks that dont work. A PSD that is working will make too much heat for an electric to dissipate.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Electric fans cant move the air volume needed to cool your rig. A few members have tried it

#7 ·
In other words one fan in, one fan out?

What happens when the truck has forward movement? The fan out will then have to fight the incoming air.

That's how I take it at least.

#8 ·
well one fan would be outside the radiator and the other inside faceing the grill. the one outside will push air through the radiator and into the fan on the inside. i did it on my bronco and it never got hot.

#10 ·
Roger that. That will help out air flow, but I will defer to the other fellas that have done it for their opinions.

#9 ·
IIRC the powerstroke fan moves 10k CFM, I haven't seen or heard of an electric that has that cabability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.