Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've read post that say an electric fan, dual or single (for engines and transmission), will pull better CFM than the stock or after market mechanical fans from the water pump. I've also read that they don't.

Which is true and does anyone have any valid proof? It's obviouse that cooler tranny temps are the #1 reason that a transmision is able to stay alive and running well for an extended period of time and seems to be what everyone is trying to achive. I just want to hear opinions from people who have experienced both!

Thanx, Chase.... :thumb:

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,885 Posts
For the big rads that we run, I don't think they make electric fan units big enough to fit. I don't think a pair of electrics can out pull a nice big diesel fan with a good fan clutch at idle, which is where your problems will be, sitting for long periods in hot stagnant air. Is it worth chancing it? I've had electrics on my camaro and they were a pin in the a$$ PLUS on the way up the grade to Hot August Nights I had to stop and put a FLEX FAN on it, because it was overheating.
If your worried about your trans they make small trans coolers with fans on them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they make after market fans to replace the OEM that may have a little better cooling ability??

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,885 Posts
I don't know for sure, but you would think so, they make everything else. Are you having cooling problems?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not that I know of........ really just concerned my engine and tranny are in their best condition. I NEED FREAKIN GAUGES!!!! I was just curious 'cause I'm in south texas and it gets "perty worm" down here!

·
cj41foleyisathief
1,925 Posts
I have not run a fan at all for past 2 years. Pulled my 94 Lightning to meets in MO, MN, OK and NC. 100 plus temps and never came close to over heating.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why wouldn't you run a fan???

p.s.- thats a lot of F'n tq your pullin brother. I LIKE IT... proly not the fuel bill!!!???

·
cj41foleyisathief
1,925 Posts
The only time I need a fan would be sitting a light & in traffic.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My truck has been known to do a lot of sit'n at idle in the heat for extended periods of time, for work purposes. I've currently got a thread going right now on here about the best engine coolant for our trucks. I'm trying to find it, they do relate. I just want the best end result.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
i've looked into electrics and the manufacturer of one kit i know of says that it does not recommend its kits for towing over 18k. google it. there's a few companies that make retrofit kits.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts