Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock fan on our trucks just screams power loss. On the foxbody mustang the first thing i used to take off was the engine driven fan and i would replace it with a taurus fan. Made the throttle response so much better.

I was reading an article in diesel power about electric fans:

"16. It takes between 10 and 70 hp to drive the cooling fan, so cooling system maintenance can have a significant effect on fuel economy.

DP Diesel Power Note:
Replacing the stock clutch fan with a Flex-a-lite twin electric fan setup is said to recover 27 hp and increase fuel mileage by 6%."

Has anyone put on a E-Fan? I would like to make that my next mod. Not only would it free up power and mpg but make the front of the engine easier to get at for belt changes.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
So I am one of those fox body guys. I would say your power loss wouldnt be as significant as stated above. Also, I dont think it would be worth the effort or time on our trucks.

Just my thoughts, no Dyno 6.0 data for you on this.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I was also thinking about this. I always replace the fans on my stangs with electric. I can't see how there'd be any benefit to have a heavy as fan hanging on the front of a diesel.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I am getting the dual fan shroud from a friend soon. I am very anxious to get it and see how it does. I will do a write up in a month or 2 because I still have to get fans and the computer that controls them, after I get the shroud..

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey guys,
thought i would put some light on some of your questions. Ill start with the horsepower gains from it. Your not only gaining horse power from removing the belt driven fans, but your also going to see gains in the fact that the fan will be pulling air through the intercooler which will cool off the air which as most of you know will condense the air even more. One of the biggest things when looking for electric fans for diesels is one that push's enough air due to the fact that the radiator and intercooler on a diesel is larger than the average setup. I personally dont know how effective it is, however i have ordered an electric fan setup for my truck and i will do a writeup on it and see if I can get the local college to let me use the dyno since I was a student there :D anyways here is what im going to use for my setup. Flex-a-Lite 272 Ford Super Duty Diesel Fan with Variable Speed

If anyone has any questions Just let me know

·
Registered
280 Posts
Subscribing

·
Registered
25 Posts
The PCM does. however disconnecting it shouldnt do anything, like throw codes or interfere with anything with the truck that would be vital. Its only a signal from the ecu when a Targeted area of tempterature is hit. The only thing its going to do is send a signal to the fan that isnt there. the PCM probably wont even notice a difference. And with bigger fans that are electric you could set the thermostat which would keep the engine cooler and would probably never reach the targeted temp to activate the stock fan anyways. Not 100% sure but ill look into it and include it in my writeup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am not sure about the roll the PCM plays on the fan, but I do know that I had mine unhooked without throwing the CEL.

One thing I will say is that I do not see that fan drawing over 5 or 10 hp even with it's size. Not saying I am an expert, just my theory.

With that said, there are other benefits to consider such as faster warm ups. An electric fan running on a thermostatic switch could help with this.

As mentioned above, a good electric fan setup could help focus more airflow through the IC and radiator.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im digging the feedback guys. Look forward to seeing some setups

·
Registered
113 Posts
Coming from my experience in the performance world...especially with the LS based Trailblazer SS...this has the potential for SUBSTANTIAL gains! This is one of the most popular bolt-ons in the TBSS world. We adapt stock LS1 fans out of a Camaro/Firebird and it is not uncommon to see 20-30rwhp in that application and as much as 2-3mpg increase!!!

That being said, it does take a patch in the computer on the TBSS for the fans to communicate with the thermostat and function as normal. Not sure how the Powerstroke PCM controls the fan, but if it does, it's as simple as one of the tuners developing a patch and a relay/wiring kit.

Subscribing!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
WRITE UP WRITE UP WRITE UP! Please!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Will be interesting to see if any electrics can provide enough flow to match the stock fan. My friend on his Cummins went electric and two fans couldnt keep up with the cooling demends towing heavy in summer and on really hot days didnt stand a chance. He went back to the stock fan since it moved over double the air flow at full clutch lock vs the electrics which i believe were 7k cfm combined.

I planned to go electric on mine until he had the cooling problems on his truck. Empty it was never an issue even on the hottest days with the a/c full on.

Jason

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have heard that the stock fan can move 12,000 cfm.
I don't think the electric will even come close.

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
hey guys,
thought i would put some light on some of your questions. Ill start with the horsepower gains from it. Your not only gaining horse power from removing the belt driven fans, but your also going to see gains in the fact that the fan will be pulling air through the intercooler which will cool off the air which as most of you know will condense the air even more. One of the biggest things when looking for electric fans for diesels is one that push's enough air due to the fact that the radiator and intercooler on a diesel is larger than the average setup. I personally dont know how effective it is, however i have ordered an electric fan setup for my truck and i will do a writeup on it and see if I can get the local college to let me use the dyno since I was a student there :D anyways here is what im going to use for my setup. Flex-a-Lite 272 Ford Super Duty Diesel Fan with Variable Speed

If anyone has any questions Just let me know
Looking at that fan setup one thing screams out at me. OBSTRUCTION! I think in 3 years my fan has kicked on 1 time. The rest of the time the air being pushed through the radiator has been enough to keep it cool. That shroud looks like it covers close to half the area of the radiator with closed shroud that would seriously impede the airflow causing the temperature to rise requiring the fans to kick in and cool things down. I am all for electric fans but I don't think the solution in the link you provided is the way to go.

The PCM does. however disconnecting it shouldnt do anything, like throw codes or interfere with anything with the truck that would be vital. Its only a signal from the ecu when a Targeted area of tempterature is hit. The only thing its going to do is send a signal to the fan that isnt there. the PCM probably wont even notice a difference. And with bigger fans that are electric you could set the thermostat which would keep the engine cooler and would probably never reach the targeted temp to activate the stock fan anyways. Not 100% sure but ill look into it and include it in my writeup.
All you have to do is set the fan on temp higher in you tune to keep the PCM from trying to kick on the clutch fan. Then you can let something like a Spal controller take over the job of running the fan. This is what I do with my track car.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts