Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for an electric cooling fan conversion for my 6.4l and I can find them for just about every diesel truck and Powerstroke except the 6.4l.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Why? I wouldn't tow more than 6k if that if you went that route. You'll probably get a CEL on unless you can find someone to write you a tune to shut the fan code off. Not to mention you'll have to figure out how to turn it on when you put the A/C on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's already throwing a P0528 and if I have to tear it all apart I figured I might as well upgrade to electric fans and save a little fuel.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The amount of fuel you'd save for the cost of that, would not be worth it. The mechanical fan is actually integrated into a lot of stuff and comes on at times you wouldn't think.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Litterally an electric fan will push only 25 percent of the oem fan. You will not get anywhere close to the cooling you need.

On top of that it will throw more codes than you already have. I would just throw a new clutch in and be good for another 75,000 miles

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
It's already throwing a P0528 and if I have to tear it all apart I figured I might as well upgrade to electric fans and save a little fuel.
Where to start ...electric fans would not be an upgrade, they just cant move enough air to cool under high load situations -- so towing would be out

the electric power needed to move large amounts of air will need to be generated by the alternator ...that is turned by the engine -- fuel saving would be nil

The P0528 code is the wiring harness for the current 'electric' fan on the truck -- broken? damaged in some way?

The vistronic fan on the truck is optimized for cooling as well as fuel mileage, as long as the system is working
so fixing the harness issue and checking to be sure the sensors are working, will get you back in the game

The vistronic system will idle the fan when cooling is not needed and variably lock the fan when max cooling is required
Various sensors on the engine and transmission regulate the amount of lockup

Your monitor system such ad Forscan or Torque Pro can monitor the temps as well as the fan speed and amount of lockup

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well I’m just trying to replace my mechanical fan clutch and could swear it was left hand thread.

Many of the fan clutches listed on rockauto state “standard clockwise” thread. I just did a water pump six months ago and only now realized the two parts wear similar and I should have done them both simultaneously.

I’m going to email rock and ask if the part description does not state “standard” - that it is indeed left hand thread or counterclockwise.

Weird there would be right/left threads on same engine...?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
The fan turns "backwards" on these engines -- it is on the outside of the belt -- so to loosen turn to the left - it is right hand threads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts