1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
:bdh:

Couldn't find it in a search- so then:

Egt probe into driver's side exhaust manifold- in the bend, or pointing at that last cylinder's inlet into the log portion?

When is cylinder melting time, or when should I be backing out of it?

Cheers,

Greg

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've always used 1250 as my high point and I don't like to let it stay there for very long but someone else may correct me

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
25 Posts
1300 max and i put mine in the bend of the manifold i think its pretty good spot

·
Registered
61 Posts
1300 max and i put mine in the bend of the manifold i think its pretty good spot
Same.. 1300... Though I use 1100 max sustained. EGT probe is in the manifold right at the bend for the up-pipe on the drivers side on mine...

·
Registered
933 Posts
1200/1300 pre turbo, 1200 is ok its time to let off...unless your proving a point to a (insert competator vehicle here) in which case 1300 is the absolute highest I would go, 900/1000 for all post turbos mounts

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
Those that chime in should mention what fails at what temp. Most people use the 7.3 as to why 1250 is the max... I will pull all day long at 1350... Sustain 1400 max for many minutes up grades.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Same.. 1300... Though I use 1100 max sustained. EGT probe is in the manifold right at the bend for the up-pipe on the drivers side on mine...
Same location here. Also use 1,250 as a max...

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Early in the manifold. aluminum alloys melt around 1200*. Interpret that as you will.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Those that chime in should mention what fails at what temp. Most people use the 7.3 as to why 1250 is the max... I will pull all day long at 1350... Sustain 1400 max for many minutes up grades.
So you saying the 6.0 are able to handle higher EGT's??

1400 is HOT!!! i would be afraid to look at the bearings after a few min at 1400....

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
or valves, piston, turbo, etc

·
Registered
365 Posts
i have run mine up to 1600 plenty and the motor still ticks like a clock

·
Registered
371 Posts
My alarm is set to 1350, I rarely let out though, as long as its not for long (one pass) its ok. Remember to let it cool down before shutting down!

·
Registered
430 Posts
so when i see these guys on here push these trucks down the track at 1400-1500 degrees how are they staying together! I mean most these truck aren't getting down the track in 8/9 sec. but 12 to 14 holding that temp for that long is gonna grenade the gaskets isn't it? I mean with the extreme street from Eric I had on the truck I would see 1350 t0 1400 and I would start sweating and let out of it costing me a race how in the heak do ya keep the egt's down at these levels? And now I have the SPD from TSD and wondering should I stay with this tune cause the power is unreal but I dont wanna take this thing apart again 6 months down the road. for more gaskets

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
Aluminum will melt at 1250, to heat soak the piston you have to be way hotter than that because of the intake charge and sump oil cooling the piston. 6.0 does not have aluminum head. Next aluminum part is the turbine. Based on the pre and post intalation temp diff there is a 200 degree drop.. so at 1400 pre I am seeing 1200 at the turbo. Hot i agree. 3 6.0's in our convoy and we all run these temps. Please explain if I am wrong. I have a probe on both banks and temp are with in 30 deg.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Early in the manifold. aluminum alloys melt around 1200*. Interpret that as you will.
Pure aluminum melts at 1200 not alloys

Sent from the moon

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I've run mine at 1600 in a race with a tundra for over a minute and I was worried . My boost gauge broke first but the truck is all good .

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've run mine at 1600 in a race with a tundra for over a minute and I was worried . My boost gauge broke first but the truck is all good .
for a min. REALLY!?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dam musta been a fast tundra

tundras are fine trucks, but I've had some seat time in a 2010... they just don't quite keep you steadily pushed back in your seat like a programmed diesel...

On to the topic of melting pistons- Isn't there a boundary layer of unburnt fuel/air on the piston crown that more or less shields it from the brunt of combustion temperatures? Or is this just gasoline engines?

Regardless, good input here- I know where to put the probe and ballpark temp concerns...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts