Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 f250 cc 4x4.

I’m doing my research in anticipation of installing gauges.

A couple of things I’m finding confusing.

1) locations of EGT probe.
Some guys are using exhaust manifold, some are using down pipe from turbo.
Is one better than the other?
Pros/cons to either?

2)Boost sensor ?

Some use MAP tube with a “T” , some use intake manifold (drill/tap)

Same questions.

As always, thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
The down pipe would be the most representative for the engine, unless you dual tapped the manifolds -- just tapping one manifold only shows that side, is that a problem? not likely ...but I think only half a job

MAP sensor could go either way, there is no difference in the methods

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The down pipe would be the most representative for the engine, unless you dual tapped the manifolds -- just tapping one manifold only shows that side, is that a problem? not likely ...but I think only half a job

MAP sensor could go either way, there is no difference in the methods

Thanks

I actually like the MAP tube better.
Seems less likely to get drill shavings where they shouldn’t be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I did mine I put it in the exhaust manifold on the driver's side. From what I remember reading.... The piston is the crucial part that melts or fails due to EGT's bring to high....so the exhaust manifold is about as close as you get to the actual piston temperature.

I have my DP Tuner Infinity monitor set to warn me at something like 1150 just so I can back out of the pedal if I want to.

Take care!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you do some research I think you will find most recommend to drill and tap the exhaust manifold on the driver side. I have never read where someone feels that they only get "half" the reading they need. Plenty, most all, of people do the driver side manifold. That is the temp you want to monitor, not post turbo. "I want to monitor egts so I don't get my motor too hot", then it's best to check the egt as the exhaust exits the motor.

My truck has a t fitting on the map line. No issues.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
As other have stated. Driver side exhaust manifold. There’s plenty of pics and info here regarding such or just google it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Egt probe should go in the exhaust manifold not the downpipe. The drivers side is the easiest to get to. For the boost sensor get a intake heater delete plug that's tapped for the sensor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What about putting the probe in the up pipe collector that connects both up pipes to the turbo. That would be before the turbo. Reason I ask is I’m about to change out my stock up pipes with the BD-power setup while at the same time install SS 4” exhaust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts