Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, i have a really stupid question...

I have been wanting to add an EGT gauge to my truck... However Im now stuck on the location to put the probe.

I have been seeing people place the probe in the downpipe (after the turbo) and some installing them in the passenger side manifold hell ive even seen some guys adding probes to both manifolds to record temps on both sides...

I think the d.p. Mounting would be better as theres less of a risk of a newbie leaving shavings from the install to go thru the turbo.

So my question is:

Where is the best place to mount the probe... And WHY?

Thanks guys....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Put it in the manifold. You won't get shavings in the turbo. Just do it.
Manifold, you're measuring temps just after the cylinders. That's what you're protecting. More than 1250*F for too long, you might start slinging slag.
Post turbo, the temps have already cooled off up to, if not more, than 600*F. Hard to *guess* what temp the manifold is then, huh?
Get the proper sized bit for the tap, start a small pilot hole going slow so the shavings stay in relatively large pieces and they fall down, then get your proper sized bit doing the same thing. Don't spin it fast and make tiny dust. I believe the manifold is cast anyway, so going slow allows for large pieces. Then vacuum if you feel like it. And tap it. I didn't vacuum. I just used a pilot bit, normal bit, then tap.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Gunny I placed mine in drivers manifold used a vacuum to pull what little shavings I could and ran it with zero adverse effects,where you located btw in 1st mardiv

·
Registered
505 Posts
Dip the drill bits in grease and and all the shavings will stay on the bits and yes put it in the manifold. Mine is on the drivers side that way shorter distance for wire going to gauge. Did everything from under truck without removing anything.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
Put it in the manifold. You won't get shavings in the turbo. Just do it.
Manifold, you're measuring temps just after the cylinders. That's what you're protecting. More than 1250*F for too long, you might start slinging slag.
Post turbo, the temps have already cooled off up to, if not more, than 600*F. Hard to *guess* what temp the manifold is then, huh?
Get the proper sized bit for the tap, start a small pilot hole going slow so the shavings stay in relatively large pieces and they fall down, then get your proper sized bit doing the same thing. Don't spin it fast and make tiny dust. I believe the manifold is cast anyway, so going slow allows for large pieces. Then vacuum if you feel like it. And tap it. I didn't vacuum. I just used a pilot bit, normal bit, then tap.
^^^ What he said.

When I did mine, I put a little bearing grease on the bits as well to help catch the shavings.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gunny I placed mine in drivers manifold used a vacuum to pull what little shavings I could and ran it with zero adverse effects,where you located btw in 1st mardiv

In Boise You-da-ho... For now... Wanna go back home to Seattle/Sacramento... But not yet... Opening a new Repo office here...

Semper Fi... 1st Mar Div. 1st FAST CO.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys... Just didnt know which way would be the best... Ive seen videos on youtube going both ways... i figure ill use the glow shift 3-in-1 gauge as a temp. Set of gauges untill i can save up for my factory matched isspro gauges... :)

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts
Drivers side manifold is the leanest side and the closest to the side you're mounting the gauge

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
My egt probe from auto meter came with enough wire to go in the pasd side manifold btw, but ii installed in drivers side, just wrapped the extra and ziptied all my wires together going in the cab

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Driver is leanest? Though #6 and #8 fired one after another. How is that lean?

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts
8 fires last of the fuel rail and gets the least fuel I believe less fuel means more heat that's where you'd want the probe right?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
no, less fuel is less heat. Fuel = heat.

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts
I want to call BS on that on 85 305 excess unburnt fuel cools the EGTs

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Nope it sure doesn't. On gassers it might, but in a diesel excess fuel = smoke, smoke =egt's.
On my TDI, I can pull fueling way back, and I can watch the egt's drop. More air than fuel = cooler egt's.
Conversely, I can add fuel, and watch egt's begin climbing. Less air and more fuel = hotter egt's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts