Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Newbie here so please be gentle. :)

Recently purchase 2008 F250 SD with 6.4L and Evolution tuner.

Had a squeaky pulley so I replaced all tensioners, pulleys and belts as a preventative measure and so I wouldn't have to go through that torture again.

Have driven the truck a couple of times since then and all seemed well. Yesterday I took it out for a short run and was pulling a hill so I got on it a little bit when I heard a loud bang under the hood
and then noticed the Evolution tuner alarm beeping and the EGT temp showing 1400'f!. Also lost power so I immediately pulled over.

It wasn't a good place to look at it and being only a couple of blocks from home I limped it there while watching that the EGT temp never got over 500 or so. I've noticed before that during normal driving the EGT goes up to as much as 900'f.

After looking under the hood I noticed the problem that the coupler to the intercooler pipe was disconnected. I guess that it must have been missed and not tightened enough when doing the pulley job as I had disconnected it to get more working room. I guess the bang I heard was this thing blowing out and the pipe hitting the frame. I can see no damage to either.

All seems well now and the truck runs fine with full boost and no strange noises that I can determine. I had some codes showing but after clearing them they have gone away and not returned.

I know cars but am new to diesel trucks so my concern is if there could have been any internal damage caused by this mishap that I should be concerned about or have checked? Turbo damage, sensor damage, etc.?

Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
No you are fine! The boots blowing off is a common occurrence on 6.4’s. Some run two clamps on the boots, and some upgrade the boots to better ones all together. Stock is fine in most applications as long as you clean the mounting surfaces really well of the oil residue and torque to spec.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts