Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told the most accurate place to put the EGT probe is in the exhaust manifold. However, I've also heard that over the time expansion and contraction causes it to eventually break and go through the turbo, perhaps destroying it. And that if I mount it after the turbo, just add 200 degrees. I'm just around the corner from getting guages and I wanna make sure I don't have to do something twice! So, who's the expert on this one?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would put it before the turbo. Seems like after the turbo would be too inacurate. I could be wrong, and i agree that if there were a chance it could potentially break and ruin the turbo i would be careful too. Does anyone make an aftermarket exhaust mani that could have the bung formed right into it? Might be something to look into for best results unless cash is ah issue.

I just dont know if putting it after the turbo would be worth even having if its inaccurate.

·
Premium Member
14,386 Posts
I've got mine in the exhaust manifold and can't see how I'd ever have any problems. I drilled and tapped it in and all is well - heck I guess anything can happen but I doubt VERY seriously it would break.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kinda weary....

Yeah that's what I was thinking is that the chances are rather small. Maybe i'll call up some aftermarket diesel product manufacturers and some actual guage manu's and see what they say....i'll keep you all posted

·
Registered
231 Posts
found anything out yet?

I am ready to get my gauges too, was wondering if you guys heard anything more on this subject? I know all too well what it takes out of the wallet to replace a bad turbo, :mad: and must admit that I have a fear of losing it again.

·
Premium Member
14,386 Posts
I guess I'm missing what can happen here everyone. I've built a couple drag cars in my life, do ALL my own work and am a complete vehicle nut, so installing this was a no brainier as far as I was concerned. I drilled a hole in my manifold, tapped it and inserted a brass fitting with a temp sensor in it. The sensor is a heat sensor - if heat makes it break apart there's a slight problem. If the brass fitting.......well that's not gonna happen. I'm just confused and would like to see a link or something from Mr. Google where someone had this problem, so I can ask them what happened. The sensor is designed to be tapped into the manifold to register temp.
DON'T MAKE ME SUE ISSPRO - I just for once in my life followed the instructions. :p

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
High heat

Well like I said I heard from a friend of mine that it wasn't the best thing. But I really havent' heard of a turbo failing just from the probe, only the chunks of metal that the idiot left in the manifold. But nevertheless, I want to be sure I don't have to spend a bunch of money on turbo that's working just fine!

·
Premium Member
14,386 Posts
OH! I see what you're saying now Smoke - sorry I'm a bit slow sometimes and the Bud Light may not have helped. :D
I read the same things you did about people having concerns about left over metal from drilling and tapping into the manifold. I haven't read where anyone has had that problem but everyone (including myself) seems to go to great pains to ensure the shavings are all out. I probably went way overboard but I worked very, very slow. I also bought a small "bendable" magnet and rigged up a small tube to my Shop Vac hose. When I was done tapping it, I used the magnet and then Shop Vac over and over to be SURE nothing was left and I can assure you nothing was. I wasn't taking chanced on my month old truck. It REALLY is an easy install with the gauge and if you go to the lengths I did you won't have any problems. You can go after the turbo but the pre turbo gives you a more accurate reading.

·
Registered
96 Posts
ohhh haha yea ok i get it now. Im pretty sure you and i were thinkign the same thing rodslinger. (probe breaks off and gets sucked thru turbo :eek: ) but if its just the shavings your worried about fear no more. I cant imagine how tough a job it would be off hand.... But i would probably just take the manifold off to do it. If thats too much of a pain yea i would just not worry about it, do what you can about not letting a crapload of shavings into the turbo. If a little gets in its no biggie, they'll be out within seconds. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,386 Posts
Yeah that's exactly what I thought initially.
Y'all keep one thing in mind too - when you're drilling and tapping, you are on your back drilling up so gravity is helping fall most of the shavings into your face. You're also drilling the bottom of the manifold, so the shavings can't fall anywhere but out the hole OR stay just inside the hole. That's where the magnet and Shop Vac came in handy. I venture to say that after I tapped the hole 95% of shavings were already out. If you want Smoke I can take a quick pic to show you exactly where I put mine.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drillin for egt

Well I wasn't really concerned about the shavings as I would go out of my way to make sure I got as much as I could out. But it was just the fact that a friend told me someone recommended he went after the turbo. I would like to go before the turbo on mine for the accuracy and that's likely what i'll end up doing, especially since the chip i'm running produces a lot of smoke when I crank it up for playtime....
Oh and about the pic it's no biggie, but if you can get one with enough light it might help me see where I should go with mine. Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's just as acccurate but is cooler by 200 to 250 drg. of cylender temp. It has one adantage over putting in the exhaust manifold if you have a problem on the other side you will never know. With it behind the turbo you get all the cylenders temp not just one bank.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jammin at the Jamboree

Well i'll defintely be buying guages in about 10 days at the Indy Jamboree so i'll ask the experts around there and see what they say!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Pre or Post, that is the question

Anyone get anymore ideas supporting which place to put the probe. Gauges should be on the door step tomorrow, I'd hate to have to wait to install them :D I read on another site that there could possibly be a difference of over 300 degrees during WOT.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
The most accurate placement is pre-turbo aka exhaust manifold. I did the A piller set of three. Boost, EGT and Trans. Installation wasn't hard just took quite a bit of time to get everything right and factory looking.

When you drill the exhaust manifold make sure you use sharp drill bits. TAKE YOUR TIME and start with a small bit. Once you get a pilot hole with the small bit step up to the next size. Yeah this takes longer to do but it helps to cut down on the shaving size and helps to cut a perfect hole for tapping. Once you have the hole ready for taping use a flexible magnet to clear any shavings from inside the manifold. Once you have cleared the shavings use a shop vac to pull any other shavings from in the manifold. (I did this several times).

Now tap the manifold and again clean the tapped hole with the magnet and vac. All is good from here.

If you have a truck with an automatic you can route the wires through the hole where the clutch cable would have been run. There is a large plug covering the hole (you can pull it off with out use of tools via the engine compartment) and you can drill the center and cut to the lower edge allowing easy threading of the wires plus you can pick up some wire loom from Radio Shack to protect then and seal the hole from the elements.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I installed this weekend. I ended up putting the probe in the pipe, just after the manifold. It seems to work real well, but I'm not sure if there is a temp difference in that foot of space or not. It was much more relaxing to drill into a pipe then the manifold. just held a shop vac up to the drill as we went, and it caught all or most of the shavings.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thermocouple placement

Hope its not to late to throw my hat in the ring. I've been in heavy trucking all my life and my Cat and Cumapart engines havn't had the thermocouples in the exhaust manifolds since the mid sixties let alone has there been a gauge made since then with the warning colors marked for preturbo intallation. Maybe there is some new thinking that says its better. I don't remember exactly why, but there was a new way of thinking then that changed it from the manifold. It's all what you get used too. I have driven many miles in heavyhaul trucks that run at 90% to 100% all day long. You don't stare at any of the gauges all the time but rather scan them for abnormal changes. So lets say your pulling pretty hard and the temps are up there a bit, you don't want to look the gauge or gauges and have to add or subtract to be accurate while changing lanes looking for an exit or what have you. I can't think of anything that would out weigh one or the other. I've heard people say that with the thermcouple after the turbo you won't be able to tell if you blew an air charge hose off. I don't know anybody with a pyro and no boost gauge or the other way. In the large engines the turbos move so much air that they would have to blow a hose to raise the temp. noticably. And then you would have heard the loud noise and should have pulled over. On my powerstroke I don't even have a wastegate. I would think on our trucks you would notice lower boost and a strange noise from the engine bay. Bottom line, GET GAUGES, get familiar with them and what is normal. Keep your ears in tune when your work'n it. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just had my EGT installed

Hey Smokin', I just had my EGT installed pre turbo in the manifold. I had heard the same concerns from people about the metal left over getting into the turbo, but if you are careful, you will not have a problem. I called Banks and they said to put it pre-turbo. I got it installed about 2 months ago and have had no problems and it works great. It is nice to have, especially when towing. :beer:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
So what should the max temp be before backin off the go-pedal? Pre and post turbo temps would be great.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts