Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been pulling shaking on my EGR for over an hour now:banging: Is this normal:dunno: All I want to do is clean the dang thing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just did mine yesterday and it was a beotch. I used a couple of curved pry tools so I could lift both ears simultaneously. I had to reef hard enough that it bent the ears a little. In my case I didn't mind cuz I was replacing it with an EGR slug/spool.

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that I'm gonna have to replace it becasue one of the ears is starting to bend. This $10 dollar fix is just about to turn into a $300 job real quick.

·
Rebel
657 Posts
I took a pry bar and a rubber mallet to mine it came right out and was still good. :thumb:

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you possibly fix a pry bar in there?? I'm about ready to take more than just a rubbler mallet to it! So I came inside to take a Jackdaniels moment

·
Registered
331 Posts
take some wire run trough the ears,like a handle on a bucket then put a pry bar under the wire becarefull what you pry against you may have to double the wire to get it to hold.

·
Registered
258 Posts
When I did mine it was like I was missing a bolt it was stuck in so hard. Big channek locks, screwdrivers ad approx a six pack and it came out. Two weeks later the Ford dealer replaced it because of black smoke and lack of power(same reasonI cleaned it) and a new one didnt fix it either.

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I got it out, maybe I should spend the $371 to replace it. If you hold it up to eye level and TRY and look through it YOU CAN'T! Would this be a bad one or just needs a good cleaning?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think they can be cleaned with very good success but dont know for sure. A new one did not fix any of my concens which were black smoke, turbo lag and fuel mileage. Not to say yours wont but keep that in mind before plunking down that kind of $$$.

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I bought a new one had a friend bring it to me becuase I bent the crap out of the bolt eye. By the time he gets the new one to me I fixed and cleaned the old one and put it back in my truck. If the old one was as clogged up as it was should I replace it or get my $$ back for the Ford store??

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you got it clean I would try it first. If it runs better but still not good then maybe put the new one in? I am sure a tech will be along and see this at some time?

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still runs the same, like crap. I was hoping it was the EGR I guess it is the injector. Good think I've been pinching pennies for 8 new injecotors.

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
first off dont ever guess at a repair , egr problem and injector problem are totally different , its always best to replace the egr , the cleaning deal is very temporary, especially if it was clogged bad , get a scanner on the truck and see what codes are there , if it is a injector or egr or whatever it will have a code of somekind , and dont buy anymore parts until diag has been done, i hate to see you waste money on a part you dont need ,what exactly is the truck doing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts