Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm seriously debating a SCT & one of elite diesel's EGR pipes. Now exactly how does this work... If you run a factory Flash, and have the EGR pipe/blocked off the CHECK ENGINE light comes on and they start sniffing around and find out why. So now you have the Programmer, and EGR modifications and no kitty cat. That makes me nervous. I don't want to pay for a water pump, or alternator that goes out b/c of these mods.... what is the best way to handle this?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Don't mod it. Honestly, what are the chances they'll sniff around. The pipe looks OEM. But if you're worried about it, don't mod it. imo.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Ok, I'm seriously debating a SCT & one of elite diesel's EGR pipes. Now exactly how does this work... If you run a factory Flash, and have the EGR pipe/blocked off the CHECK ENGINE light comes on and they start sniffing around and find out why. So now you have the Programmer, and EGR modifications and no kitty cat. That makes me nervous. I don't want to pay for a water pump, or alternator that goes out b/c of these mods.... what is the best way to handle this?
They have to prove the broken part was caused by another modified part. For example if the alternator went out they can't blame it on the EGR delete pipe because they have nothing to do with each other. But if the up-pipe gaskets leak they can blame it on the delete pipe.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ferguson act I believe it is, right? I really wonder what kind of MPG gains I'd get from an SCT & EGR delete pipe, ontop of my already 4" turbo back no kitty.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I wouldn't rely on that act to save my azz. It's the magnuson moss act, btw. the sneaky pipe won't provide any mpg gains.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
One thing I have heard is that you can reduce the flow to your egr by using a blockoff plate or freezeplug and drilling a hole in it to let a small amount of exhaust through so that your check engine light won't come on.

I will be trying this soon!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went out there to look... wow is that pipe burried back in there. omg. I think the scoop is what I think is the worst part of the OEM design. I wouldn't mind removing the OEM pipe and knocking the scoop off. Where are some good schematics of this engine?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I just went out there to look... wow is that pipe burried back in there. omg. I think the scoop is what I think is the worst part of the OEM design. I wouldn't mind removing the OEM pipe and knocking the scoop off. Where are some good schematics of this engine?

I think I am going to try to heat up the scoop and bend it in to block most of the flow that goes into the egr cooler!

Here's some info: 2005 Update Page 06 Exhaust Up pipe Scoop-Intake Manifold Divider Plates-EGR Throttle Plate

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system reduces the peak combustion temperatures and oxides of nitrogen (NOx)."

That is what the FSM is stating the purpose of the egr is. It does 2 things. reduces peak combustion temps & reduces NoX in the Exhaust. I want to know how this affects MPG's and engine function and wear/tear. did they do it to reduce temps b/c it would damage the eninge? or did they put one on to reduce temps to reduce NoX? My theory is they reduced the cylinder temps to reduce Nox coming out of the tail pipe; the emission output was the goal of it. But looking at it from a physics point of view the hotter the cylinder temps are, the more "effecient" the combustion process is. A hotter engine and hotter combustion is more efficient... so I wonder how much this EGR thing is hindering our MPG's. and then you have the Scoop which impedes exhaust flow.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Egr barely affects mpg's, and your right, its just to reduce cylinder temps and pressures to reduce NOx

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It also helps contaminate oil faster, get the intake manifold nasty, increase turbo lag b/c the exhaust is bypassing the turbo wheel, and reduces the amount of fuel burned on the power stroke. So it's soul purpose in life is to reduce NoX (emissions). However, it looks like it creates more particles also, which is why the Particulate filter came along. EGR's reached a point to where the particles became a problem.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
It also helps contaminate oil faster, get the intake manifold nasty, increase turbo lag b/c the exhaust is bypassing the turbo wheel, and reduces the amount of fuel burned on the power stroke. So it's soul purpose in life is to reduce NoX (emissions). However, it looks like it creates more particles also, which is why the Particulate filter came along. EGR's reached a point to where the particles became a problem.
No, because egr is only used under cruise situations, so it doesnt affect turbo lag. The valve is controlled by the pcm and is only opened under certain situations. it may or may not contaminate oil sooner, i kind of doubt it has an effect. It also doesnt add to particulates because it is just inducing inert gasses into the combustion chamber. It is just recirculating exhaust, so it does not add to particulates. This is when it is functioning properly. I would recommend blocking it off due to problems associated with it, like cooler issues and the valve carboning up and stuff like that. But theoretically it will not have the affects that you may think, like power loss, and fuel economy.

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
I'd rather take my chances! NO MORE EGR ISSUES FOR ME!!
Freeze plug in up-pipe and welded EGR valve shut. Seems to run lower EGT's

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I'd rather take my chances! NO MORE EGR ISSUES FOR ME!!
Freeze plug in up-pipe and welded EGR valve shut. Seems to run lower EGT's
I will be in the same boat as you after next week

:woot::woot::woot:

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
I herd you were in line blue. You will be most pleased!!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I am getting mine done local I wish I could make a trip to NC but just can't see spending all the extra money on diesel I was told if I stayed after SSS he would do it but can get all that time off work right then so I am getting it done here I actually just dropped the truck off this morning :woot::woot::woot::woot:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So carboning up and Exhaust flow restrictions b/c of the Scoop are my issues with it now. What does ford recomend for EGR cleaning, as far as maintance schedule? I could just remove the OEM pipe and remove the scoop, that solves the flow issue. That just leaves carboning up/maintaince cleaning of the EGR system. How hard is it to remove the scoop from the OEM pipe?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts