Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently completed a trip from california to connecticut in my 2004 F250, when i got to connecticut my CEL came on and i noticed that when on the highway if i accelerated fast when going about 70 my turbo would spool up then spool down repeatedly almost like a strobe effect and blow black smoke every time it cycled. I figured i had alot of buildup of carbon so after getting to my destination i talked to my mechanic and he recommended sea-foam to clean out the injectors and to clean the egr valve manually because he said it sounded like it was sticking open when i gave it throttle and the turbo was being robbed of exhaust. I drove like a pissed off teenager and used the sea-foam and my smoke quickly went away and my CEL came off. When i pulled out the EGR valve i noticed the carbon buildup as anyone would describe but it looked a little moist, the residue was defanitly more carbon then moisture but there was moisture present. Is this a cause of concern? I live in a emissions testing state so im hesitant about a delete kit. But im running a stock truck so i dont think its completely necessary to do any upgrades to the egr system. Is my thinking wrong?

Appreciate any responses!
_Ricky

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
Clean your valve, run it hard again and pull it back out. Are you still seeing moisture? Is the valve wet? You may be on your way to egr cooler failure, sometimes it can be tough to see, dry carbon will absorb moisture to a certain point.

A dirty valve with clean spots on it is not a good sign either

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
another good way to tell if the cooler is starting to leak is this. if there are little carbon balls in egr valve or around it crack them open and if the are a light grey inside that is telltail cooler going bad.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
agreed, balls or loose chunks are bad. They'll stick the valve open, then you clean it and they'll just do it again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies gents i appreciate it! How long should i run it for before i recheck the valve?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts